Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Old Shotgun, Shotgun Pistol Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

my dad had cut down a 410 when i was a kid he pack it on his saddle and shot grouse with it when he past a way i took the barrel off it and through it in the river i just didnt see the use of it

let no talents go unused

Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #12

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you're serious about keeping it at least remove firing pin and have barrel welded shut.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #13

Well I just asked to see what Would be best. I'm not gonna use them for
anymore than decorative pieces and keepsakes. Just really wanted to know how to preserve them best.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If you're serious about keeping it at least remove firing pin and have barrel welded shut.
Well put, Hawg.

I wanna say kudos to Sooie for posting this on a public forum and heck, if you bury guns around your parts then you are in the clear.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Gents- the proper term is "Short Barreled Shotgun". These are in the same legal class as a machinegun (National Firearms Act, Class III). Legal to own IF it has been registered with the BATFE. As in ALREADY registered- and the $200 transfer tax paid. Possess one without the paperwork, and the possible penalty is 10 yrs in Federal prison, and a fine of up to $250,000.

ALSO- there are specific measures required to change a firearm to a non-firearm. Filling barrel w/ concrete, removing firing pin/hammer, being rusty, etc is NOT ON THE LIST. Using a cutting torch to cut the receiver into 3 or more pieces IS. However, before you decide to bury, cut up, or have bronzed, consider this- Federal law requires that if you come into possession of a firearm like this that is not registered, it be surrendered to the BATFE. You have posted this on a public website. None of us is anonymous here. Your actions CAN result in a conviction that will bar you from possessing ANY firearm- for the rest of your life. That is what a Federal felony does.

Chose wisely.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well and succinctly put C3.

Last edited by freefall; 07-12-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #17

Get rid of it. Turn it into the authorities or something. Call the BATF and tell them whats up.

It's not worthing risking potential prison time and fines for owning a sawn off shotgun regardless if its a family hierloom. Sure it sucks but I would get myself as far away from that thing as possible.

Sure it sucks but at least you have the long gun right. You will also still have your right to own firearms as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #18

Thanks for the info and support guys, i respect all yalls opinions.

however, things arent as extreme as some would make them out to be. yes, its illegal. yes its an heirloom. heres a nice link/story of a similiar situation, yet he decided to take it to a gun dealer for appraisal.

Huntsville man finds out his antique shotgun/pistol illegal under 1934 law | al.com

Quote:
To make this particular gun legal requires one of two things, Hyche said. Craig could have the gun rifled - have grooves cut into the barrel - or he could have the gun disassembled.

Michael MercierCirca 1920 Stevens .410 shotgun/pistol.Before Craig left Madison Guns Wednesday, the gun was disassembled, and he was able to take the heirloom back home.

In 1934, the National Firearms Act outlawed short-barreled shotguns. Technically, Craig's antique gun is illegal under the law, but Hyche said the ATF's concern was figuring out a way to let Craig keep it.

"This happens all the time," he said. "We don't want (the gun) destroyed or take it away from the family."

He said it's common that people are left guns like this when family members die, and the best thing to do is contact the ATF.

"We don't want to charge any of those people," Hyche said. "We almost always find a way to accommodate the person."

Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Interesting heirlooms! I wish you the best of luck in figuring out how best to preserve them.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Interesting heirlooms! I wish you the best of luck in figuring out how best to preserve them.
thanks.

apparently, the best way is to not post them on public forums, and to keep them out of sight! LOL

in all seriousness, the long shotgun might work, but the pistol does not work. the barrel is rusted shut, and the trigger is broke, the hammer doesnt stay back, and the firing pin is rusted stuck as well.

**because if the gun opened, then id have pics of the open barrel

and another note; you can goto google/youtube and type sawed off shotgun and come with a plethora of images of ppl holding them, and shooting them. i would think the authorites would be more concerned with that foolery than my old rusted no good relic. just sayin

Last edited by Sooie; 07-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.