Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

oil eaters may work and they have an enzyme based, may be oil eaters brand, that will get rid of all the oil

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #12

Oil Eating Microbes for Safe Oil Spill Cleaning and Bioremediation

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It ain't inexpensive.

I thought about submersing it in Naphtha for a day or two, but I couldn't afford $9.00 per gallon.

I sure can't afford $40.44 per gallon. Thanks for the link, though, I may have to use it someday.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #14

theres a lot more product out there, google and bing are a good starting place

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
theres a lot more product out there, google and bing are a good starting place
I'll look.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by confederatemule View Post
It ain't inexpensive.

I thought about submersing it in Naphtha for a day or two, but I couldn't afford $9.00 per gallon.

I sure can't afford $40.44 per gallon. Thanks for the link, though, I may have to use it someday.
Be very careful when trying to get all of the oil out of your stock. You need to remember that this wood's pretty old and has been like this a very long time (most likely).

There are purists out there that will frown against using oven cleaner becuase they say it burns the fibers of the wood and turns it green or gray. I have used it with a lot of success.

I would not try to get it all out and end up with a brittle dry piece of wood. After all, if you are wnating to restore the finish, you're likely going to be putting ahand rubbed "oil" finish back on it.

I spray oven cleaner on mine several times over the course of several hours. How I do it is: spray down.. let soak for 30 mins to an hour... hose down with HOT water... let dry and repeat. If it all does not come out, no matter because It will be no issue when I go through the restoration process.

I've even run stocks through the dishwasher full cycle (with wifes permission of course) with no ill effects.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I decided that the oil/grease stain would add character, so, I put two coats of the finish on. Then I noticed that I was using clear lacquer, not polyurethane.
I used more E-Z Off. After this process was over and the stock was clean and dry, low and behold, there is no oil stain and it does not feel waxy. I do not know what happened.

I do appreciate the suggestions. I have made a list of them, for later reference, because I will buy more Mosin Nagants.
Thanks to all,

Mule.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Again, my mistake.
Most of it is gone. What is left is in other locations, and not as visible.
I am going to go ahead and apply the Polyurethane tomorrow, at least, start tomorrow.

Mule

Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #19

Default Oil dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by confederatemule View Post
Never thought of something like that. wouldn't Oil-Dri should do the same as kitty litter? I have oil-dri.
BOTH come from the same mines in central Florida and are samey same
'
I suggest wrapping the troubled area in paper towels or even newspaper and putting the gun in a black terash bag and letter sit in the sun

I remember when we hadda degrease a ma Deuce we used low pressure steam. i put a neoprene fuel line on the spigot of my pressure cooker and a piece of crimped steel fuel line as a nozzle and blew steam at my SKS using a Coleman stove to heat the boiler

say goodbye to any cartouches! The Rooshian you have was originally finished with shellac and you might start by swabbing it with denatured alcohol so the oilishness wont be sealed intot he wood

yodar

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #20

Hummm, B 12? used it on an old Harley Pan Head I had some years back. It was the greatest at oil removal ( simple green was good also) leaving all the metal and chrome spot free without and residues or flim. Not a clue of wood reactions, but couldn't be worst then some of the others listed. Driving those oils out of the wood what ever method, will take multiple attemps and depending on how pourous the wood is, you may not get the darkness removed. Heat like placing it in a black plastic bag, and wipe it down with a rag repeatedly on a hot day, drives most out most of it. Not a clue of the cat litter, but it sounds like it could be a good aide to keep the driven to the surface oils from re entry back into the wood.