Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Oil

I have used naptha, paint stripper, acetone, heat gun, easy off oven cleaner, and starting fluid, to remove the oil from my M44 Mosin Nagant stock. The oil is still there. The oven cleaner probably worked better than anything else, but it removes whatever the stock is finished with, also.

Does anyone know of something that will remove "all" of the oil. It is mostly in the trigger area, where a nasty hand wrapped around the stock to pull the trigger. But it is fairly heavy in the general area of the magazine and bolt.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mule.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

tried brake cleaner???/

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
tried brake cleaner???/
I've, thought about brake cleaner and the arisol carb cleaner. I even thought about Barrymans B-12.

Mule

Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by confederatemule View Post
I've, thought about brake cleaner and the arisol carb cleaner. I even thought about Barrymans B-12.

Mule
try non chlorinated first if you do use brake cleaner. carb cleaner i dont think will do it for you

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #5

It didn't get all, but I used simple green and a toothbrush, followed with a water rinse, air dried, (but I live in Arizona) then it sat in the sun for the afternoon here, aprx 140 degrees, then I did another simple green, rinse, and dry, only on the hottest days during shooting do I feel any remaining cosmoline. and a napkin is good to remove that, About once a year I take it apart to thourghly clean and I repeat a simple green and rinse/dry. 5 years and the thing still leaks a little but better than others I have seen with brake cleaner. Although we had good results at the office with a power steam cleaner, so far no remaining leaks but it hasn't gotten to summer yet, and I don't have a problem wetting wood gently, but question about high pressure steam.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
try non chlorinated first if you do use brake cleaner. carb cleaner i dont think will do it for you
I didn't know it came as "non chlorinated".

Mule

Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by confederatemule View Post
I didn't know it came as "non chlorinated".

Mule
we have to use non-chlorinated if we dump the oil with brake cleaner in the recycled oil drum, otherwise they wont take it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #8

try what I did.....(and YES, mine still leaks a tiny bit of cosmo when it gets real hot)
Get a plastic garbage bag, fill it with cheap kitty litter, and pack the stock around the kitty litter, seal it up, and take it up to the attic for about 2-3 weeks.....take it down, check it by wiping it down and spraying it with carb cleaner...may have to send it back to the attic for another week or two....
while you are waiting, take the bolt apart, work the action, and get it all cleaned and lubed for when the stock is ready.....

Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaz1 View Post
It didn't get all, but I used simple green and a toothbrush, followed with a water rinse, air dried, (but I live in Arizona) then it sat in the sun for the afternoon here, aprx 140 degrees, then I did another simple green, rinse, and dry, only on the hottest days during shooting do I feel any remaining cosmoline. and a napkin is good to remove that, About once a year I take it apart to thourghly clean and I repeat a simple green and rinse/dry. 5 years and the thing still leaks a little but better than others I have seen with brake cleaner. Although we had good results at the office with a power steam cleaner, so far no remaining leaks but it hasn't gotten to summer yet, and I don't have a problem wetting wood gently, but question about high pressure steam.
WOW! I don't think I could endure 140 degrees.

I'll probably try the Simple Green. I have thought about steam. Not from a steam cleaner, but just from boiling water.

Mule

Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriffoconee View Post
try what I did.....(and YES, mine still leaks a tiny bit of cosmo when it gets real hot)
Get a plastic garbage bag, fill it with cheap kitty litter, and pack the stock around the kitty litter, seal it up, and take it up to the attic for about 2-3 weeks.....take it down, check it by wiping it down and spraying it with carb cleaner...may have to send it back to the attic for another week or two....
while you are waiting, take the bolt apart, work the action, and get it all cleaned and lubed for when the stock is ready.....
Never thought of something like that. wouldn't Oil-Dri should do the same as kitty litter? I have oil-dri.