Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Oil (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/oil-25351/)

confederatemule 03-30-2010 02:28 AM

Oil

I have used naptha, paint stripper, acetone, heat gun, easy off oven cleaner, and starting fluid, to remove the oil from my M44 Mosin Nagant stock. The oil is still there. The oven cleaner probably worked better than anything else, but it removes whatever the stock is finished with, also.

Does anyone know of something that will remove "all" of the oil. It is mostly in the trigger area, where a nasty hand wrapped around the stock to pull the trigger. But it is fairly heavy in the general area of the magazine and bolt.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mule.

doctherock 03-30-2010 02:37 AM

tried brake cleaner???/

confederatemule 03-30-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 260185)
tried brake cleaner???/

I've, thought about brake cleaner and the arisol carb cleaner. I even thought about Barrymans B-12.

Mule

doctherock 03-30-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confederatemule (Post 260211)
I've, thought about brake cleaner and the arisol carb cleaner. I even thought about Barrymans B-12.

Mule

try non chlorinated first if you do use brake cleaner. carb cleaner i dont think will do it for you

efaz1 03-30-2010 03:09 AM

It didn't get all, but I used simple green and a toothbrush, followed with a water rinse, air dried, (but I live in Arizona) then it sat in the sun for the afternoon here, aprx 140 degrees, then I did another simple green, rinse, and dry, only on the hottest days during shooting do I feel any remaining cosmoline. and a napkin is good to remove that, About once a year I take it apart to thourghly clean and I repeat a simple green and rinse/dry. 5 years and the thing still leaks a little but better than others I have seen with brake cleaner. Although we had good results at the office with a power steam cleaner, so far no remaining leaks but it hasn't gotten to summer yet, and I don't have a problem wetting wood gently, but question about high pressure steam.

confederatemule 03-30-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 260218)
try non chlorinated first if you do use brake cleaner. carb cleaner i dont think will do it for you

I didn't know it came as "non chlorinated".

Mule

doctherock 03-30-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confederatemule (Post 260268)
I didn't know it came as "non chlorinated".

Mule

we have to use non-chlorinated if we dump the oil with brake cleaner in the recycled oil drum, otherwise they wont take it.

sheriffoconee 03-30-2010 03:44 AM

try what I did.....(and YES, mine still leaks a tiny bit of cosmo when it gets real hot)
Get a plastic garbage bag, fill it with cheap kitty litter, and pack the stock around the kitty litter, seal it up, and take it up to the attic for about 2-3 weeks.....take it down, check it by wiping it down and spraying it with carb cleaner...may have to send it back to the attic for another week or two....
while you are waiting, take the bolt apart, work the action, and get it all cleaned and lubed for when the stock is ready.....

confederatemule 03-30-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efaz1 (Post 260226)
It didn't get all, but I used simple green and a toothbrush, followed with a water rinse, air dried, (but I live in Arizona) then it sat in the sun for the afternoon here, aprx 140 degrees, then I did another simple green, rinse, and dry, only on the hottest days during shooting do I feel any remaining cosmoline. and a napkin is good to remove that, About once a year I take it apart to thourghly clean and I repeat a simple green and rinse/dry. 5 years and the thing still leaks a little but better than others I have seen with brake cleaner. Although we had good results at the office with a power steam cleaner, so far no remaining leaks but it hasn't gotten to summer yet, and I don't have a problem wetting wood gently, but question about high pressure steam.

WOW! I don't think I could endure 140 degrees.

I'll probably try the Simple Green. I have thought about steam. Not from a steam cleaner, but just from boiling water.

Mule

confederatemule 03-30-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriffoconee (Post 260274)
try what I did.....(and YES, mine still leaks a tiny bit of cosmo when it gets real hot)
Get a plastic garbage bag, fill it with cheap kitty litter, and pack the stock around the kitty litter, seal it up, and take it up to the attic for about 2-3 weeks.....take it down, check it by wiping it down and spraying it with carb cleaner...may have to send it back to the attic for another week or two....
while you are waiting, take the bolt apart, work the action, and get it all cleaned and lubed for when the stock is ready.....

Never thought of something like that. wouldn't Oil-Dri should do the same as kitty litter? I have oil-dri.