number of clicks

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > number of clicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default number of clicks

just a question to get some comments. you have your M1. you go to the range. using military ball ammo. wind not an issue. roughly how many clicks of elevation to get you in the 10 ring at 100, 200, 300 and 500 yards?

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

For me, none. Mine is sighted in at 200 yards, I just use Kentucky windage from there. Then again, there are no ranges over 300 yards in my area.

An easy way to figure out the clicks is to use the 10, 20, 30, 40 50 yard shots, and their placement to get yourself close. If a rifle is sighted in at 250 yards, it will hit pretty much in the same spot at 25 yards. Start at 10 yards, shoot a 5 shot group. Record the size of the group, then do the same at 20 yards, etc. Record the number of clicks at each distance after the first one at sight in, and try those adjustments when shooting further out at the "comperable" distances.

Best I can come up with. I was taught by an ex-Marine who used to pop the plugs out of his target at 500 yards during qualification, so what do I know?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

On a lock-bar sight all you have to do is:

1. Set up a target at 100yd
2. Come up 10-12 clicks and shoot
3. Adjust until group is centered
4. Loosen screw on Elevation Drum Cap
5. Turn the Cap by itself to align the line under the "2" (not the one right at "2") with the index line on the Receiver
6. Tighten the Cap screw

The "Battle Range" triangle is fixed at 300 ("3" on the drum). You don't need to do anything for that. Aim Center of Mass and you'll hit somewhere on a man-sized target from 0-500yd.

All those little numbers are only good for "minute of enemy" with standard service ammunition (ie, M1 or M2 Ball, M2AP). When your platoon or squad leader says "Target, 400, right front, enemy infantry" you come off your "Battle Range" put the "4" on the index and engage.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
On a lock-bar sight all you have to do is:

1. Set up a target at 100yd
2. Come up 10-12 clicks and shoot
3. Adjust until group is centered
4. Loosen screw on Elevation Drum Cap
5. Turn the Cap by itself to align the line under the "2" (not the one right at "2") with the index line on the Receiver
6. Tighten the Cap screw

The "Battle Range" triangle is fixed at 300 ("3" on the drum). You don't need to do anything for that. Aim Center of Mass and you'll hit somewhere on a man-sized target from 0-500yd.

All those little numbers are only good for "minute of enemy" with standard service ammunition (ie, M1 or M2 Ball, M2AP). When your platoon or squad leader says "Target, 400, right front, enemy infantry" you come off your "Battle Range" put the "4" on the index and engage.
Thanks C3, I just learned something today.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?