Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   "non-firing" M1903 springfields (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/non-firing-m1903-springfields-45406/)

Jake15 07-18-2011 08:25 AM

"non-firing" M1903 springfields

I'm pretty sure this is the right place to put this, so here it goes. I was just looking through my latest issue of Shotgun News and I saw an ad for "non-firing" military surplus M1903 springfield rifles. The ad said that they have been modified to prevent firing. I was just wondering how they modified them, and if its even legal, how hard it would be to get them back into firing condition? Come to think of it, maybe this aught to go in the gunsmithing forum?

JonM 07-18-2011 12:21 PM

Its legal to convert back to a firearm but the weapon needs to be papered on the unconstitutional federal form you fill out for any firearm sale. Cant think of the form number atm. Lots of companirs rehab such firearms mitchel mausers does it a lot most of what they sell are converted parade guns

How hard it is depends on what was done to deactivate them. It could go from melting a simple lead plug out of the barrel to rewelding the reciever to rebarreling the firearm.

jpattersonnh 07-18-2011 09:09 PM

Most have a permanant barrel plug and welded barrel/receiver, so attempting to re-barrel is impossible

m72law 07-18-2011 11:21 PM

s.o.g. has two flavors of the 1903a3's...straight stocks & scant stocks...150buckish...(drill rifles).

the parts that come with these rifles ''minus/front sight blades'',is well worth the money if & when you can find ''just'' a barreled receiver off gunbroker in the 150-250ish range.

i have seen 1903 mark 1 w/complete rear sights/base,barreled receivers go for less than 200bucks:eek:

goodluck!;)

c3shooter 07-19-2011 12:15 AM

In order to meet the BATFE equirements on de-milling a firearm (so that it is no longer a firearm) it is far more than a lead plug- more like holes on the chamber/ barrel. It is intended to keep a non gun from being made back into a gun. Can it be done? Yep. Easy? No. Good? No. The "drill rifles" were to be used to practice the manual of arms, for bayonet training, etc. Most are missing parts etc. Good for a shadow box, mater stake, closet rod.

TheOldMan 07-21-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 544930)
In order to meet the BATFE equirements on de-milling a firearm (so that it is no longer a firearm) it is far more than a lead plug- more like holes on the chamber/ barrel. It is intended to keep a non gun from being made back into a gun. Can it be done? Yep. Easy? No. Good? No. The "drill rifles" were to be used to practice the manual of arms, for bayonet training, etc. Most are missing parts etc. Good for a shadow box, mater stake, closet rod.

What he said...