No serial # on M1 stock?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > No serial # on M1 stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No serial # on M1 stock?

I just got a SA M1 Garand from CMP. I'm not sure how to decode the serial #'s on the various assemblies, but I think it may be from the early to mid '50's. The weird thing is, (IMO) the stock has no serial # stamped on it. It has the SA cartouche and the Circle P cartouche, but no #. I am 100% sure this stock is completely untouched and original. Why no # on the stock?

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #2

When I was assigned to the Coast Guard recruit training center armory, we had HUNDREDS of M1's which were issued to recruits for d & c practice. I don't recall ever seeing one with a serialized stock.

Sad part was, some of those rifles were perfect and with four, yes four, digit serial number receivers. All had been "de milled" with a tack weld at the barrel to receiver, and bores filled with lead. We had rifles from all manufacturers that ever made them. Almost made me cry to look at them.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Stocks were constantly interchanged, so it's unlikely you'll ever get the original stock on the original barrel and receiver. Take it from our military guys here, stocks were never serialized, but you will occasionally see partial numbers stamped on a stock. Mostly to identify them when they were issued to certain groups.

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #4

Thanks guys. As I thought about it my Enfield and my Mosin-Nagant don't have #'d stocks either.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.