Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > No gunsmith Mosin sporter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It's fun doing project rifles, and sense the MN is cheep no loss if you make a mastake. Though I love them as milsurplus and leave mine that way.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It is only minutes away from being totally origional with all matching numbers except the bayonet. I need more Mosins to play with!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #13

Opaww, If mine shot the way yours does, I wouldn't touch a thing on it

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #14

[QUOTE=dteed4094;562338]Since altering the extra bolt, I haven't been quite satisfied so I did some bending. It now looks like it belongs on the rifle. I also finally finished free floating it. Hope to get to the range tomorrow.

i have three that i sportized and they turnned out nice one is a 308 british a #1 mk3 and a #4mk1 and a 7.62x54r mosin nugant 91/30

Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #15

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I can honestly say I've thought about "sporterizing" my mosin not the stock but just the bolt and and putting some glass on it. Just haven't done it, good luck with the project I'm interested in how it turns out.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #16

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

When you put in a bent bolt, you have to modify the stock. Glass bedding can't be removed in a few minutes, so to preserve the rifle, you need to buy an after-market stock.

The Mosin Nagant is not a tack driving, precision rifle, and will not be after your modifications. However, you bought it, it is yours to destroy if you choose. For the money you will spend, including the cost of the rifle, you can buy a used model 700 and have a more accurate, and better looking rifle.

Modifying a historic firearm would be like making a shirt out of Betsy Ross' flag. After all, it is just an old, out-of-date flag.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #17

It's not the destination, it's the journey. There are enough purists when it comes to milsurps that Mosins will probably never be rare in their origional configuration. Every one I know with a Mosin has at least one more to keep for posterity sake. If we never tried to expound upon our weapons, we would still be throwing stones and swinging clubs. Mosins can be tack drivers.

Paul.