Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > No gunsmith Mosin sporter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default No gunsmith Mosin sporter?

I'm trying to sporterize a 91/30 without compromizing its origional character. I recieved my extra bolt body from Sarco this morning and wasted little time starting it's adaptation. I am trying to do this build for under $200 not including glass. I realize when I'm done I still have a $70 Mosin but it isn't the destination, it's the journey. Now The next leg of this trip is to find or make a scope mount that isn't chinsy for under $30, The remaining part of my budget. Even if the gun didn't shoot well, I don't believe I'm wasting my time because I have thoroughly enjoyed what little time I have invested. BTW the first time, and only time I took this rifle to the range, it shot a 2 MOA group at 100 yds. God knows how accurate it would be if someone with more skills than I have were to shoot it.
Name:  bolt handle.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  78.0 KB
Attachment 26513

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Last edited by dteed4094; 09-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I know it's "To each his own" but I don't understand how one can sporterize a historic military rifle without compromising it's character

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

He still has the original bolt, in original configuration, The original stock and metal. He can convert it bact to true original in about 1/2 an hour. My hats off to him!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
He still has the original bolt, in original configuration, The original stock and metal. He can convert it bact to true original in about 1/2 an hour. My hats off to him!!
Well that's not so bad then. Definitely keep all the old parts!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Well that's not so bad then. Definitely keep all the old parts!
I pretty much agree with you GL.. I like leaving milsurps in their original configuration. I have nothing against "accurizing" (bedding, trigger jobs, etc..) But I don't care much for sporterized ... Sorry and nothing personal to those who like to do that sort of thing.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #6

I have 4 unaltered Mosins, 2 unaltered mausers, 2 unaltered Enfield No.4 mk1s, I also have a sported Enfield,Mauser and 03 Springfield all of which were done when I bought them. I have a hard time altering milsurps and as of yet haven't. The MN I'm playing with shot about 8 inch groups before and now shoots 2 inch groups probably better with someone else behind it. I enjoy guns and tweaking within my abilities which are only limited by equipment and knowledge. I can't financially change the equipment but knowledge is limitless if you are willing to explore. Sportering a MN is my way of exploring certain aspects of firearms. Even if I do drill and tap, saw off the barrel or grind the sear down to dangerous extremes, which I won't, it is my way of enjoying firearms when I can't get to the range. I would very much like to have the knowledge JPattersonnh has and I know he didn't acquire it by just collecting milsurps and never altering them or studing them in pieces on his bench. Yes there are many on this forum that have little respect for milsurps in their origional glory but I assure you I do.
Attachment 26683
Attachment 26684
This is the bolt handle made from a 1/2 inch bolt and 2 nuts.
Attachment 26686
Attachment 26685

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Last edited by dteed4094; 09-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #7

Thank you for the kind words. Before 91/30's were readily available years ago, I wanted one. I found 2 barreled actions, there were stocks w/ them but the owner sanded them down so much none of the metal fit correctly, the bands were useless. I found 2 complete bolts, and 2 VG stocks and built my own out of them. Both were counted bored and neither had been cleaned since Stalingrad. 1 was for my oldest son and I let him pick the action and stock he wanted out of the 2. The 1 I ended up with had a bore that looked like it had no rifling at all. It was actually so full of years of copper and crude the grooves were all full. I used foaming bore cleaner and a brush. It took 3 treatments to get the crap out. It ended up being a very good shooter w/ no pitting inside or out. They cost me $75.00 to build. It was a fun project. I learned allot about 91/30's.
The beater stocks were donated to my sons High school history teacher for world history. They hang on the wall of his classroom. For some reason he no longer has an issue w/ unruly students.
The only military rifle I ever sportered was a basket case M38 Swede. It is now my middle sons hunting rifle. He picked the stock. I still need to Dura-coat the metal forest green.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Thats a sweet Swede. Is that the one you just finished? I watched the threads when you were building it.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

Finished just before Christmas.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Default Update' No Gunsmith Mosin sporter.

Since altering the extra bolt, I haven't been quite satisfied so I did some bending. It now looks like it belongs on the rifle. I also finally finished free floating it. Hope to get to the range tomorrow.
Name:  100_0662.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  20.9 KB
Name:  100_0663b.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  14.1 KB
Name:  100_0665b.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  30.0 KB