No.4Mk1 markings help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > No.4Mk1 markings help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No.4Mk1 markings help

Do any of you Know a good souce to ID ownership marks ?
Mine appears to be a S.African but the "U" has a downward pointing arrow instead of an upward pointing one.
Any thoughts/leads?

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
Do any of you Know a good souce to ID ownership marks ?
Mine appears to be a S.African but the "U" has a downward pointing arrow instead of an upward pointing one.
Any thoughts/leads?

You need to post pics. I've said that before. Your interpitation may be completely wrong. Before you made it a paint job rifle, a proper ID would have been prudent. No Enfields were made in S. Africa. U was also used in Germany.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 12-16-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You need to post pics. I've said that before. Your interpitation may be completely wrong. Before you made it a paint job rifle, a proper ID would have been prudent. No Enfields were made in S. Africa. U was also used in Germany.
It may have been prudent for you to read the OP,I didn't say anything about it being MADE in South Africa but OWNED by South Africa.

Great Britan had many colonys and each one had there own mark of ownership and their own proof marks.My rifle has the S. African proof mark.

I did do some research and I found that the rifle in question was MADE at R.O.F. Fazakerly in Birmingham.

My information is based on what I found at the links listed below.

As for my iterpritation being wrong,I know a "U" with an arrow pointing down when I see one.If you need a pic I can provide on but for now please try to take my word for it.

Thank you for your help.

BTW,If you happened to see the other thread regarding this rifle you would have known it was a PAINT JOB rifle with NO blueing when I bought it.So I didn't MAKE it a PAINT JOB rifle

The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website
Government*Ownership*Marks

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
It may have been prudent for you to read the OP,I didn't say anything about it being MADE in South Africa but OWNED by South Africa.

Great Britan had many colonys and each one had there own mark of ownership and their own proof marks.My rifle has the S. African proof mark.

I did do some research and I found that the rifle in question was MADE at R.O.F. Fazakerly in Birmingham.

My information is based on what I found at the links listed below.

As for my iterpritation being wrong,I know a "U" with an arrow pointing down when I see one.If you need a pic I can provide on but for now please try to take my word for it.

Thank you for your help.

BTW,If you happened to see the other thread regarding this rifle you would have known it was a PAINT JOB rifle with NO blueing when I bought it.So I didn't MAKE it a PAINT JOB rifle

The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website
Government*Ownership*Marks
According to one of your links, you have an unusually marked rifle. I've not been able to find anything more on your upsidedown arrow U proof mark.. Try: Enfield collector

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Old 12-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #5

It's unfortunate that almost all markings seem to have been rubbed out either during the "FTR" process, or smeared/rubbed by too many human hands and chemicals over the decades?

Last edited by Laufer; 12-27-2009 at 03:51 AM.