Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   No.4Mk1 markings help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/no-4mk1-markings-help-21156/)

flyingbrickracing 12-15-2009 10:49 PM

No.4Mk1 markings help

Do any of you Know a good souce to ID ownership marks ?
Mine appears to be a S.African but the "U" has a downward pointing arrow instead of an upward pointing one.
Any thoughts/leads?

jpattersonnh 12-16-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing (Post 199949)
Do any of you Know a good souce to ID ownership marks ?
Mine appears to be a S.African but the "U" has a downward pointing arrow instead of an upward pointing one.
Any thoughts/leads?

You need to post pics. I've said that before. Your interpitation may be completely wrong. Before you made it a paint job rifle, a proper ID would have been prudent. No Enfields were made in S. Africa. U was also used in Germany.

flyingbrickracing 12-16-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 200034)
You need to post pics. I've said that before. Your interpitation may be completely wrong. Before you made it a paint job rifle, a proper ID would have been prudent. No Enfields were made in S. Africa. U was also used in Germany.

It may have been prudent for you to read the OP,I didn't say anything about it being MADE in South Africa but OWNED by South Africa.

Great Britan had many colonys and each one had there own mark of ownership and their own proof marks.My rifle has the S. African proof mark.

I did do some research and I found that the rifle in question was MADE at R.O.F. Fazakerly in Birmingham.

My information is based on what I found at the links listed below.

As for my iterpritation being wrong,I know a "U" with an arrow pointing down when I see one.If you need a pic I can provide on but for now please try to take my word for it.

Thank you for your help.

BTW,If you happened to see the other thread regarding this rifle you would have known it was a PAINT JOB rifle with NO blueing when I bought it.So I didn't MAKE it a PAINT JOB rifle

The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website
Government*Ownership*Marks

RCHanlin 12-16-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing (Post 200054)
It may have been prudent for you to read the OP,I didn't say anything about it being MADE in South Africa but OWNED by South Africa.

Great Britan had many colonys and each one had there own mark of ownership and their own proof marks.My rifle has the S. African proof mark.

I did do some research and I found that the rifle in question was MADE at R.O.F. Fazakerly in Birmingham.

My information is based on what I found at the links listed below.

As for my iterpritation being wrong,I know a "U" with an arrow pointing down when I see one.If you need a pic I can provide on but for now please try to take my word for it.

Thank you for your help.

BTW,If you happened to see the other thread regarding this rifle you would have known it was a PAINT JOB rifle with NO blueing when I bought it.So I didn't MAKE it a PAINT JOB rifle

The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website
Government*Ownership*Marks

According to one of your links, you have an unusually marked rifle. I've not been able to find anything more on your upsidedown arrow U proof mark.. Try: Enfield collector

Laufer 12-25-2009 06:33 AM

It's unfortunate that almost all markings seem to have been rubbed out either during the "FTR" process, or smeared/rubbed by too many human hands and chemicals over the decades?