Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   New toys! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/new-toys-20521/)

DrGonzo11 11-28-2009 04:13 PM

New toys!

5 Attachment(s)
I just picked up two new rifles yesterday, a Polish K98 (a WWI Polish Reparations gun from Germany, later given to Spain, by Poland, during their Civil War) and a 1942 U.S. Property No. 4 Mk. I Enfield (a Lend-Lease gun, that was later sold to South Africa). The K98 is for sale for $600 by the way:) Here's some pics:

CA357 11-28-2009 04:59 PM

Nice sticks. :cool:

NitroxAZ 11-29-2009 12:42 AM

Very nice.

DrGonzo11 11-29-2009 01:11 AM

Thanks fellas, I'm happy with them. Traded my m1 Carbine for both of them and $200, hell of a deal for me :) I guess he really wanted a Carbine :)

Laufer 12-07-2009 04:45 AM

Dr.: Well done. You must have had a very rare or mint condition Carbine.
Are the bores/rifling in good condition? The rifles look excellent. Nice history on your #4 and Polish.

I paid $300 for my good #4 at the Batesville, MS gun show in July (my first #4), but could have bought an equally-nice Savage for $200: the walk-in owner had forgotten how to remove the bolt for a decent bore inspection.

Let's count our blessings that most young visitors :confused: to gun shows don't even know what these rifles are, unless recognized from a movie or in a trendy computer/Box/Station game. :)
A visit to Bastogne Belgium last spring and second-hand/personal descriptions of unpublished skirmishes around the area (not just uphill from Foy) while standing in the E/F Company fox holes put tv films and books in a whole new light.

If you had recently visited such a battle area, a (first) Garand would be your next.

group17 12-07-2009 12:47 PM

nice looking lee!

flyingbrickracing 12-08-2009 02:06 AM

Very nice rifles.

DrGonzo11 12-08-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laufer (Post 195392)
Dr.: Well done. You must have had a very rare or mint condition Carbine.
Are the bores/rifling in good condition? The rifles look excellent. Nice history on your #4 and Polish.

I paid $300 for my good #4 at the Batesville, MS gun show in July (my first #4), but could have bought an equally-nice Savage for $200: the walk-in owner had forgotten how to remove the bolt for a decent bore inspection.

Let's count our blessings that most young visitors :confused: to gun shows don't even know what these rifles are, unless recognized from a movie or in a trendy computer/Box/Station game. :)
A visit to Bastogne Belgium last spring and second-hand/personal descriptions of unpublished skirmishes around the area (not just uphill from Foy) while standing in the E/F Company fox holes put tv films and books in a whole new light.

If you had recently visited such a battle area, a (first) Garand would be your next.

I would love to go to Bastogne and see everything first hand, before my son was born we were planning a trip to follow the route of the allied invasion from Normandy to Berlin, but babies are expensive and time consuming so we had to cancel.

I already have a 1943 Springfield Armory M1 Garand, I am in love with it.......no really, I am:) The Carbine was a Standard Products from '43 but it wasn't in the best of shape.

I fear that I might be one of those "young gun show visitors" you speak of, as I am only 29. I do know my stuff though, especially WWII firearms, and I do play the "Box" games-so don't rule us all out based on age!!! :)

group17 12-09-2009 01:02 PM

I think Laufer talking about the "young visitors" that wouldn't be interested in bolt action rifles.
A lot of folks don't want to be bothered with single shot rifles or restoring an aged warrior. Hand them a larger banana mag for their AK's and AR15's and they are happy. I always smile to myself when I see 20 somethings buying $1500 AR's while I'm happy looking through the $150 military surplus.
Different strokes for different folks!

RCHanlin 12-12-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by group17 (Post 196776)
I always smile to myself when I see 20 somethings buying $1500 AR's while I'm happy looking through the $150 military surplus.
Different strokes for different folks!

Me too...;)