new to me Lee Enfield sporter - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > new to me Lee Enfield sporter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't like sporters for the most part, but I have to admit that she looks fairly good.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #12

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it's actually dated 1906 (yet again, crappy camera, poor quality). above the ShtLE is "ENFIELD" with "1906" below that. Underneath ShtLE is the number "1" then a couple small asterisks to the right of that.

i believe most of the bridge on the receiver was cut off except for a small protrusion which was drilled & tapped for the scope mount. looking at it in person it just looks like that's what was done. where the sights used to be are consistant with what Robinzz said about the later barrel & the info i have found online about what the rifle should've had when it was new also confirms that it everything was correct for the way the gun is marked. the bolt handle does however have a diffferent serial number than rest of the gun, so i suppose that too along with the asterisks would seem to point to an arsenal refurbishing.

Last edited by donthav1; 09-22-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #13

Hi again ,The mark 1 rifle was approved in 1902 ,as the new rifle , short magazine Lee Enfield rifle it was approved on 23 dec 1902 ,to take the place of the magazine Lee Metford and magazine lee enfield (or long rifle) .. The date 1906 puts your gun in the new rifle bunch ,funnily enough the conversion of the long rifle came some time after the new rifle and was designated the mark 11 , which muddies the water for me as because you say the bolt numbers dont match and the reworked numbers say armoury work .. It really suggests that the body and barrel were new rifle , but the bolt was from a long rifle ..

It is interesting and maybe the gun was put together sometime about when the conversion of the long rifle was takeing place or even a bit after , needs someone closer to the smellie history or enfield records which I presume are mostly still intact .. Robinnz

Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This was a popular book for decades in the US...for better or worse.

Be Well.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #15

Yours is my brother from a different mother.

On the untouched military rifle you would have half the charger bridge on the receiver and the other half on the bolt.

With the bolt fully to the rear the charger bridge is complete and ready to load.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #16

Hooray , these are the pictures we needed to see , I always thought that the model with the charger guide having half on the action and half on the bolt head was the Lee Speed however that may have just been a popular name for that model like smellie the one most used here in NZ .. But it clears up the question I put about not having a bridge and having a metford cocking piece , but these turned up on smellies made long after 1906 I owned one dated 1918 that had the metford cocking piece .. I also thought that the Metford rifle was named for the metford system of rifling which was made for use with unjackted projectiles which the later jackted projectiles destroyed in short order leading to the adoption of the rifling form used in all mark 111 rifles .. robinnz