new to me Lee Enfield sporter

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > new to me Lee Enfield sporter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 394 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default new to me Lee Enfield sporter

hey all, just got this Enfield sporter today. It belonged to a great uncle of mine & no one in his family wanted it, so my grandma (his sister) gave it to me.

I'm new to Enfields & know very little about them other than the little bit i've picked up online in the last couple hours, but this seems to be made in 1906 by Enfield, it's the Short magazine Lee Enfield mk 1 as best i can tell by the markings. what you see is what i got with it, so it's obviously missing the magazine & the front & rear sights have been removed at some point in it's life, it has a japanese Valor 4x32 scope on it.

i have no idea when it was modified but i'd say for a sportered milsurp i'd say it's actually pretty tastefully done

Last edited by donthav1; 09-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

pretty nice... shouldn't be too hard to find a magazine, there are sites out the wazoo for old milsurp guns.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

"Oh, What a Country" used to have a great deal on all the Enfield mags.

Nice looking sporterized Enfield you have there.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1344 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Very nicely done, a few more pictures would be great !

When all else fails.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

V111111111111111111111

When all else fails.

Last edited by 303tom; 09-19-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: delete

Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Looks like a Santa Fe made by golden state arms with an after applied scope. I have one without the Jap scope but with a Bushnell, Shoots great. My first gun. Got it when I was 13 for Christmas 50 years ago.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #7

Liked 394 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 6

sorry for the delay, here's a couple more pics with some of the markings. this thing has more symbols & writing on it than a men's room at a punk bar

it's kinda blurry (cheap camera) but in the second pic you might be able to see that the barrel & receiver had the same serial number with the letter "T" underneath, but at some point the number on the receiver was scratched out & a new number was engraved above it. anyone know a reason for that?

haven't shot it yet & probably won't be able to until the weekend but if all goes good, i just may make this my deer rifle

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I believe it has been demoted or promoted, I think it was from sniper to regular service or
visa versa, one of the two I think.

When all else fails.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

Hi . because it is dated 1900 it is more than likely a long tom as it also has no bridge for the charger guide , but it has a metford cocking piece where a long tom should have a long cocking piece with the safety catch on the end .. Have a good look along the top of the barrel if there are only two small tapped holes it has a long tom barrel but if there is a groove across the barrel ( where a pin was used to help secure the back sight )plus tapped holes then it has a later barrel . there may be a longitudinal groove near the muzzle with a small groove to secure the front sight ( long toms had a small ramp sweated on .. I cannot see what the small writing and crest above the smle and date which could tell us more , but there is no doubt that the gun has been returned to the armoury for refurbishing maybe more than once before it was sporterized .. The black tip is typical of rifles sporterized by Parker Hale in England after ww2 .. There other telltales such ascut outs in the forend where the top handguards have been which would have been fillled in by parker hale which would also give a clue as to which model it was originaly .. not a lot of help but may be of interest or help ...Robinnz

Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinnz View Post
Hi . because it is dated 1900 it is more than likely a long tom as it also has no bridge for the charger guide , but it has a metford cocking piece where a long tom should have a long cocking piece with the safety catch on the end .. Have a good look along the top of the barrel if there are only two small tapped holes it has a long tom barrel but if there is a groove across the barrel ( where a pin was used to help secure the back sight )plus tapped holes then it has a later barrel . there may be a longitudinal groove near the muzzle with a small groove to secure the front sight ( long toms had a small ramp sweated on .. I cannot see what the small writing and crest above the smle and date which could tell us more , but there is no doubt that the gun has been returned to the armoury for refurbishing maybe more than once before it was sporterized .. The black tip is typical of rifles sporterized by Parker Hale in England after ww2 .. There other telltales such ascut outs in the forend where the top handguards have been which would have been fillled in by parker hale which would also give a clue as to which model it was originaly .. not a lot of help but may be of interest or help ...Robinnz

No it`s a SMLE ! Or it was.

When all else fails.