Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 15

Default Need some help.

While cleaning up my fathers den my brother and I found a bunch of Civil War artifacts that dad had collected. We found sabers,medals,and musket balls. what stumped us was a small leather pouch that looks like it held shells of some sort. There was a little tool folded up on the inside. The only markings on this tool are the numbers 96 and the words Waterfield Arsenal. I say its a early form of a field repair kit and of course my brother says different. Please guys help settle our friendly arguement with the proper identification of this tool.

526542_10200514695498388_2078250101_n.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

Screwdriver/ nipple wrench/ nipple pick. Tool used to perform basic maintenance on a muzzle loading rifle.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Liked 1081 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 1097

There is your answer. ^^^

When all else fails.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Likes Given: 15

Is there a way to find out its value or age? Those are the only markings on it and the pouch is made of leather. The pouch looks to hold the tool and around 12 shells. I would love to be able to tell my brother something about it. Maybe info on the ''Waterfield Arsenal'' or the 96 thats imprinted on it. Thanks with all the help so far.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

That's a heck of a nipple pick...even for musket caps. The wrench looks pretty big as well. If this goes with the pouch it was found in, and it holds shells/cartridges, I can't see needing a nipple pick. Am I missing something here?

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Newest Threads