Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Need info for old shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need info for old shotgun

I Have a old double barrell shotgun that I cannot find any information on. It is European made Double with hammers. Maker of the shotgun is M.G. Stahl. On each barrell there is a Big G symbol surrounding the word ECO. It is a 16ga with a small word nitro ingraved on the barrell. There are several proof markings, looks to be a crown over a W and a crown over a U, plus severl more. Also, there are two sling attachments that are installed on the gun. I know this is limited information, but that is all I have. P.S. all serial numbers match. If anyone could give more information at to where it was made and possible value. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Google is your friend....

Not trying to be a smart butt and I am certain C3 will be along to provide an answer for you but you would be amazed at what you can find out searching using google, bing, etc...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
This is a vintage German manufactured 16 ga side by side open hammer shotgun. "M.G. Stahl" is marked on both barrels. "GECO" is a logo mark on the butt plate. As best I can determine, it was manufactured prior to WWI. It is marked "made in Germany". It has the look and feel of a quality piece with a solid and tight action. I have examined the various numbers on the gun and they all match. The barrel length is 29.5 in. The barrels are bright and show no rust. There is a "nitro" proof on the barrels- they are not Demascus construction. I do not know if the cartridge length is 2 1/2 or 2 9/16. The length from the forward trigger to end of butt is 14 in. It shows quality engraving throughout and walnut stocks. The gun weighs 6.7 pounds.
M.G. Stahl, 16ga. SxS Exposed Hammers Pre WWI MN Misc Shotguns for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from pmarlow. Buy or bid on this M.G. Stahl, 16ga. SxS Exposed Hammers Pre WWI in the category MN Misc Shotguns on GunsAmerica.

That was a quick Google Search.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 01-20-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Wellllll............

GECO- was a firearms retailer in Berlin. Gustave Genshow & Company.

Just as many companies made guns for Sears, several makers made guns for GECO. Most commonly, J P Sauer und Sons. But there were others (Simpson is one). Some were made in Germany, some in Belgium.

Value? Sorry, bro- value of ANY gun is based on exact make, model, and condition. You really need a hands on appraisal from someone that knows Euro shotguns.

Marking on the water table and barrels tell a lot about these guns. PLEASE do not shoot ANYTHING in your gun until a smith checks the chamber length. Length of older Euro shells was shorter than current standard. Just because it fits into the chamber does NOT mean safe to shoot.

In the meantime-

uselesswithoutpics.jpg

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.