Need help on this please !
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Need help on this please !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help on this please !

This small 1 1/4 inch barreled revolver came into my possession from a friend, that was passed onto him 15-20 yrs ago by another friend. There is no manufacturers name on the barrel. On the back end of the chamber are 2 stamps one is an R with a crown above and the other EL with a G underneath and a crown above. Retractable trigger, safety next to hammer and the only numbers apart from the various components have either a 5 or a 2 is the registration number on the base of the handle 7325. So for all you experts out there I would really appreciate any info that you can supply.
Photo's below !!

Last edited by APPDS; 04-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
DUHHHHHHHHHHH how very true will correct it !

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Sooooooooo hopefully the photo's to my above post should show here. I suspect that the nickel plating was possibly put on quite recently ? Any ideas anyone? It really is something that I have not come across before. The ELG and crown would normally
denote that it came out of Belgium. Caliber? I would have to guess as I don't have any munition with this, would be possibly 8mm (metric) which would make it a .32. The revolver, if this is the original plating is in very good condition and looking at the burn marks on the chamber would guess that it has not been fired that often.

dsc_0594.jpg   dsc_0595.jpg   dsc_0596.jpg   dsc_0597.jpg   dsc_0598.jpg  

Last edited by APPDS; 04-19-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: More info

Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #5

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Belguin...

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Funny- did we not look at one of these recently?

Yep Belgian- The ELG is proofmark for Liege Belgium. The safety on a revolver, and the closed end scallop type cylinder flute is typical Belgian. Caliber is quite possibly .320 European Revolver, which is the same as a .32 Short Colt (NOT .32 S&W)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #7

OK so I'm right with the Belgium origin. Any ideas about date of manufacture and possibly manufacturer. Trying to find the history of this little piece and how it came to Greece.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

From about 1885 to 1915, the population of Belgium was equally divided between Brussel Sprout farmers, waffle makers, and gun makers. At least it seemed that way. There were hundreds of small manufacturers- some made only cylinders, some only barrels, etc. Shotguns and small handguns were produced like jellybeans, along with the odd rifle here and there.

The .32 Short Colt CARTRIDGE has been produced in the US since 1875, and can still be found with some looking. How it got to Greece? Well, you could probably use that as the central theme for a good novel. Picked up by a rug dealer while on a sales trip to Europe, carried by a retired soldier returning to the land of his forebears, sold thru Sears Roebuck (don't laugh until you see the reprint of their 1898 catalogue)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
From about 1885 to 1915, the population of Belgium was equally divided between Brussel Sprout farmers, waffle makers, and gun makers. At least it seemed that way. There were hundreds of small manufacturers- some made only cylinders, some only barrels, etc. Shotguns and small handguns were produced like jellybeans, along with the odd rifle here and there.

The .32 Short Colt CARTRIDGE has been produced in the US since 1875, and can still be found with some looking. How it got to Greece? Well, you could probably use that as the central theme for a good novel. Picked up by a rug dealer while on a sales trip to Europe, carried by a retired soldier returning to the land of his forebears, sold thru Sears Roebuck (don't laugh until you see the reprint of their 1898 catalogue)
Just started the novel can we somehow pin down the manufacture dates between > to ? Also the value as I have had several offers but as I have no idea of the real value I hate getting ripped off (Or ripping others off)

Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #10

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Belgium
https://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=156_186&sort=2a&page=1&osCsid=2083 8c2dad20359f6bcec06a398250a2
Antique Belgian British Bulldog Revolver cal 320 CF
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mallorquina/source/modedemploi.htm

HERE is a place that can ID it!!! Nouvelle page 0

Edit: More..
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.