Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Need advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/need-advice-70002/)

xring3 08-09-2012 11:54 PM

Need advice

Local shop has a p08 Luger for 695.00. has issues 1..barrel shortened to about 3" 2..does not fire when trigger is pulled. Needs grips. Parts alone would run about 200.00. Numbers match on rest of gun. Finish is about 80%. Would use as a shooter. Made in 1914.

jpattersonnh 08-10-2012 12:16 AM

Sounds like a 250.00 parts gun.

mountainman13 08-10-2012 12:57 AM

Here the question you have to ask yourself. After you do all the work to it could you sell it for $900-$1000? I think you know the answer. At $250 I might consider it.

therewolf 08-10-2012 03:01 PM

It boils down to how much you are willing to pay for a broken-down,

semi-collectible(once it works) shooter. It would certainly make a nice

conversation starter at the range.

Ask yourself why nobody else wants it?

Bottom line, that's not the last Luger in the world.

(even if it looks like it)

Make a lowball offer and walk away. The asking price

is there in case someone INSANE walks into the shop.

Which, BTW, happens all the time...

xring3 08-10-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks for the input folks......my thoughts have been along the lines that have been expressed on this forum and other forums......I do already have 1 Luger I purchased years ago as a shooter....just want another..you know how it is......will let you all know how it works out.

TheOldMan 08-11-2012 06:35 PM

With all the work you'll have to do you will still end up with a non-matching Luger.. Offer $250 for parts and be done with it. Not worth going any higher..

xring3 08-11-2012 06:50 PM

Went back to the gun shop today......Luger was gone.....do not know if it was being repaired or if some fool paid closer to the asking price. I always figure if I were meant to end up with it that's what would happen. Deals are always around the corner.

TheOldMan 08-11-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xring3 (Post 900615)
Went back to the gun shop today......Luger was gone.....do not know if it was being repaired or if some fool paid closer to the asking price. I always figure if I were meant to end up with it that's what would happen. Deals are always around the corner.

If it makes you feel better, always think some poor sap walked in and paid retail not knowing what would be involved to restore to original condition :) That's how I roll ;) I've seen it happen more than once...

therewolf 08-11-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 900705)
If it makes you feel better, always think some poor sap walked in and paid retail not knowing what would be involved to restore to original condition :) That's how I roll ;) I've seen it happen more than once...

As I stated earlier, there's a lot of folks with more money

than brains running around at the LGSs. They price sensible

buyers out of the market.