Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Naval Artillery disarm . (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/naval-artillery-disarm-51594/)

MobileMarine 11-11-2011 02:37 PM

Naval Artillery disarm .
 
Ok a while back I purchased this bad boy at a yard sale of all places for 35.00
'' Win ! '' To make a very long and terrifying story short I have discovered its not live :eek: . Dont ask how I got the top off but it cost me about 3 packs of smokes after the fact to calm my nerves . Soooo in order to save my offspring from such experiance and to keep EOD grubby hands away from it , I want to drill a hole or do something so anyone would know thats its inert, BUT I dont want to take away any value .
I have also failed to give it a proper I.D

OP link http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/need-major-help-here-asap-42479/
http://i43.tinypic.com/2wfsku8.jpg

countryboy 11-11-2011 03:17 PM

Im active navy, with some dimensions I think I could find a gunners mate to id that for you...

EXPENDABLE

Shade 11-11-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 624953)
Ok a while back I purchased this bad boy at a yard sale of all places for 35.00
'' Win ! '' To make a very long and terrifying story short I have discovered its
not live :eek: . Dont ask how I got the top off but it cost me about 3 packs
of smokes after the fact to calm my nerves . Soooo in order to save my offspring
from such experiance and to keep EOD grubby hands away from it , I want to drill
a hole or do something so anyone would know thats its inert, BUT I dont want to
take away any value. I have also failed to give it a proper I.D

Paint it safety blue, that is the proper color for inert rounds. But the
lack of a fuse should have been the clue that it was a BLP (Blank loaded
and plugged) round. Polish up the driving bands with some brasso and
it'll be sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 624980)
Im active navy, with some dimensions I think I could find a gunners mate to id that for you...

EXPENDABLE

Where and what is your rate?

MobileMarine 11-11-2011 04:21 PM

the nose cone unscrews , the fuse threads into the top under the cone, so i assume . No base fuse , i painted it black with a white tip and it sits happily beside my desk next to 3 empty nitrous bottles . I thought about drilling a 3/8 hole in the base on the very bottom , safety blue does not look cool lol . I filled it with water for a few days just to be sure , my eod guy said brake fluid but I did not feel like wasting a few gallons , as that is prob what this puppy would hold . I feel sorry for who ever was on the business end of this ol girl back in the day , gives me the chills just looking at it

JonM 11-11-2011 04:51 PM

im glad it turned out inert. that is the most awesome office decoration ive seen :) it would make one helluva diving tank!!

Shade 11-11-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 625026)
the nose cone unscrews , the fuse threads into the top under the cone, so i assume . No base fuse , i painted it black with a white tip and it sits happily beside my desk next to 3 empty nitrous bottles . I thought about drilling a 3/8 hole in the base on the very bottom , safety blue does not look cool lol . I filled it with water for a few days just to be sure , my eod guy said brake fluid but I did not feel like wasting a few gallons , as that is prob what this puppy would hold . I feel sorry for who ever was on the business end of this ol girl back in the day , gives me the chills just looking at it

The solid nose is the indicator for a BLP round. Live rounds are color coded
other than blue, all practice torps, missiles, Naval Gun rounds are painted
safety blue. A live round would have had a fuse (very bad) or a flat nosed
plastic or phenolic plug in the round that is removed right before the fuse
is inserted and set (if needed) and fired. Our Mk 45 Mod 2 5" Guns had
a 20 round revolving magazine the ammunition was semi-fixed and the
fuses were attached right before they were placed in the magazine.

That looks like an 8" round also would have been semi fixed ammunition,
I believe. Likely Vietnam or earlier vintage. I cannot recall any ships
with 8" guns from when I was in. Only the battleships with their 16" guns.

MobileMarine 11-11-2011 05:35 PM

2497
Gwk are the only markings on it ,
2497 on the cone
2497 on the main body
then Gwk


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.