Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Nagant Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I don't know of anyone around here that sells primers, but I'm still looking. I have never used a sizer, or an expander die, so I'm basically clueless about that.

Basically, I got most of my reloading info from THENAGANTMAN, and he said to use a .312 lead bullet, with about 3.5 gr of Trail Boss. He also said not to use fmj bullets.
I sent him an email last night asking him why I shouldn't use fmj bullets, and asking if the lead bullets will cause build up like 32 S&W and 32 H&R would. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I should pretty soon.

Like I said, this is confusing.

Here's one of his videos.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes I think I know why he is not using jacketed rounds. In my Swedish Nagant I use the .312 XTP . He is not familer with non postion sensitve powders.I think his starting loads of Trail Boss and lead will work OK for you. I suspect he is afraid the Trail Boss might allow jacketed bullets to lodge in the barrel. The second die is your expander die for lead bullets. The 3rd die is your seat and crimp die. The 1st die is you full length sizing die. If you have a problem get in touch.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #33

When I am in Ft. Worth my son in law and I shop at Cheaper Than Dirt. They have everything you need for reloading. The Ft. Worth Gun Show is always a good place to shop. Reno, Txs is only 25 miles from Ft. Worth.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
When I am in Ft. Worth my son in law and I shop at Cheaper Than Dirt. They have everything you need for reloading. The Ft. Worth Gun Show is always a good place to shop. Reno, Txs is only 25 miles from Ft. Worth.
You just spotted one of the strange things about Texas. There are 2 Renos.

The Reno I live in is next to Paris Texas, which is 15 miles South of the Oklahoma border, and 140 miles Northeast of Fort Worth.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=reno%20texas&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

What funny is that I think I actually lived in the Reno next to Fort Worth when I was a baby.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Yes I think I know why he is not using jacketed rounds. In my Swedish Nagant I use the .312 XTP . He is not familer with non postion sensitve powders.I think his starting loads of Trail Boss and lead will work OK for you. I suspect he is afraid the Trail Boss might allow jacketed bullets to lodge in the barrel. The second die is your expander die for lead bullets. The 3rd die is your seat and crimp die. The 1st die is you full length sizing die. If you have a problem get in touch.
Ok, that makes it easier to understand.

So the .312 lead bullet with 3.5 gr of Trail Boss is a safe load? (that's the biggest thing I'm worried about. I really don't want a gun to blow up in my hands.) I'm still a little confused as far as bullet size goes. Will I have to resize a .312 lead bullet to .311, or will it work fine as it?

(Yes, I am new to reloading. I know a lot of the basics, and will have an experienced reloader helping me with this until I get the hang of it.)

Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #36

Quote:
How rare are those Finnish Nagants? If I can get really good accuracy out of my Russian Nagant, I'll definitely be looking into some of the other variants like the Finnish, and the target models.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #37

Well now I have learned some thing, 2 Renos? Yes you can use the .312 XTP bullet. The gun will not blow up with these loads. The difference is in accuracy. When you get down to fine 25 yd. shooting a difference of .010 can be a game changer. When shooting lead you should choose a bullet at least .010 over bore. This means a bore of .311 would shoot a .312 bullet. The alloy all so plays a part when shooting lead. You will be loading a low pressure load with TB powder. This will not upset a hard lead bullet. The bullet will not provide the best accuracy. The lead bullet must up set to fill the throat of the barrel. I would choose a swaged lead wad cutter of .311.Midway would have these or contact Berry's Bullets.

I do not know about the other Nagants. What you mentioned sounds interesting. I have a Husqvarna Swede Ordance Revolver 7.5 Swiss Nagant. These are really will made little handguns.

If you decide to get that involved in Nagants? We need to discuss bullet casting. It will allow you to make the bullets you need. When loading for these older guns casting lead becomes part of it.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Well now I have learned some thing, 2 Renos? Yes you can use the .312 XTP bullet. The gun will not blow up with these loads. The difference is in accuracy. When you get down to fine 25 yd. shooting a difference of .010 can be a game changer. When shooting lead you should choose a bullet at least .010 over bore. This means a bore of .311 would shoot a .312 bullet. The alloy all so plays a part when shooting lead. You will be loading a low pressure load with TB powder. This will not upset a hard lead bullet. The bullet will not provide the best accuracy. The lead bullet must up set to fill the throat of the barrel. I would choose a swaged lead wad cutter of .311.Midway would have these or contact Berry's Bullets.

I do not know about the other Nagants. What you mentioned sounds interesting. I have a Husqvarna Swede Ordance Revolver 7.5 Swiss Nagant. These are really will made little handguns.

If you decide to get that involved in Nagants? We need to discuss bullet casting. It will allow you to make the bullets you need. When loading for these older guns casting lead becomes part of it.
Thanks, that just got rid of most of my confusion.

Bullet casting is on my list of things to do. I'll probably get into it pretty soon too.

I think I'll order the brass, dies, and bullets tonight. I just need to find some primers.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #39

If there is a gun club in your area check with them. Clubs will have a source for reloading supplies. You should be able to get some primers.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #40

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Ok, that makes it easier to understand.

So the .312 lead bullet with 3.5 gr of Trail Boss is a safe load? (that's the biggest thing I'm worried about. I really don't want a gun to blow up in my hands.) I'm still a little confused as far as bullet size goes. Will I have to resize a .312 lead bullet to .311, or will it work fine as it?

(Yes, I am new to reloading. I know a lot of the basics, and will have an experienced reloader helping me with this until I get the hang of it.)
As long as you dont compress the Trail Boss, its completely safe.. Thats kinda what makes it special.. The little "O's" dont allow you to over charge a case, Dont break the "O's", or compress the powder you will be fine...
I wouldnt know why he says not to use jacketed... Ive shot both lead and jacketed using Trail Boss.

Have you read this? http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Last edited by Trez; 04-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.