Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Nagant Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Nagant Revolver

Well, I got a 1937 Tula Nagant Revolver as a gift from my mom, and I like it.

The trigger is a little hard to pull in DA, but it's not too bad. It's pretty good in SA. The cylinder also locks up like a vault. To top that off, it also pretty comfortable to hold. The bore is a little dark, but the rifling is sharp, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I do have one problem with it though, I can find any ammo for it around here. There is no 7.62 Nagant, 32 S&W Short, 32 S&W Long, or 32 H&R Magnum around here.

Looks like I will either be ordering the ammo, or ordering the reloading supplies. I'm leaning towards the reloading supplies. What do you guys think?

Pics to come later.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Congrats, I'm thinking you need a brother. I'll volunteer myself and let mom know my birthday is coming up Reloading would allow you to shoot more in the long run. As it has been said you don't save money when you reload you just shoot a lot more.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 04-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always thought they were double action only. I swear I had read that somewhere.

Anyway, congrats on the gift. I always wanted to pick one up whenever I see them at the gun shows. Somehow I always buy something else. :/

Also I wasn't aware they could fire the .32 rounds. Good to know.
Good luck with it and enjoy!

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Congrats, I'm thinking you need a brother. I'll volunteer myself and let mom know my birthday is coming up Reloading would allow you to shoot more in the long run. As it has been said you don't save money when you reload you just shoot a lot more.
lol, I plan on shooting the heck out of this thing. I just found some ammo for it 60 miles away. I had a choice between 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag. Both were $30 for a box of 50, so I went with the H&R. I will definetly be reloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
I always thought they were double action only. I swear I had read that somewhere.

Anyway, congrats on the gift. I always wanted to pick one up whenever I see them at the gun shows. Somehow I always buy something else. :/

Also I wasn't aware they could fire the .32 rounds. Good to know.
Good luck with it and enjoy!
I think some were DA only, but mine is DA/SA.

You should pick one up. $100 for a good, functional, safe to shoot gun is not bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

lol, I plan on shooting the heck out of this thing. I just found some ammo for it 60 miles away. I had a choice between 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag. Both were $30 for a box of 50, so I went with the H&R. I will definetly be reloading.

I think some were DA only, but mine is DA/SA.

You should pick one up. $100 for a good, functional, safe to shoot gun is not bad.
We have a show coming up next weekend. Supposed to be 1000+ vendors there. I'm sure I'll find one and pick it up.

Be sure to post some photos of your targets and such. I'd like to know the accuracy of them.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
We have a show coming up next weekend. Supposed to be 1000+ vendors there. I'm sure I'll find one and pick it up.

Be sure to post some photos of your targets and such. I'd like to know the accuracy of them.
I think they have decent accuracy depeding on what you shoot. They won't beat anyone in any competitions, and they probably won't outshoot most modern revolvers, but they are great for plinking. I'll have to put a few rounds through it to know for sure though. I'll probalby be going to the range on Saturday.

If you do put anything other than 7.62 Nagant ammo in it (it HAS to have the casing's neck above the bullet), be sure to clean it (in the retaining pen area) every 25 rounds or so so the cylinder doesn't lock up from lead build up. (thank you Jon for that info)

You don't have to deal with lead build up if you do what I'm going to do and reload using FMJ rounds. (.311 is what a lot of people recommended. You may have to resize the bullets if you get .312) You still wont get the gas seal, but you'll have ammo that fits the gun perfectly.

Guys, when you clean it to prevent the cylinder from locking up, do you just run a brush through it, or do you have to take the cylinder of, or do you do something else? Thanks

Just out of curiosity, what is 32 H&R Mag good for other than plinking?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8589 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Ammo? http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-mags-more/ammunition/russian-7-62-1895-pistol-ammo.html

Rumor was that the revolvers issued to officers were SA/DA, and the ones issued to the enlisted swine were DAO.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Ammo? http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-mags-more/ammunition/russian-7-62-1895-pistol-ammo.html

Rumor was that the revolvers issued to officers were SA/DA, and the ones issued to the enlisted swine were DAO.
Thank you.

I believe I have an officer's model then. That would explain why it looks so good.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8589 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Quote:
why it looks so good
Why, that would be because he found an enlisted man to clean it for him!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Why, that would be because he found an enlisted man to clean it for him!
Works for me.