The Myth About the Garand "Ping" - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > The Myth About the Garand "Ping"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Well put.

The "ping" is urban legend, myth, etc.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I can hear the ping from mine just fine with ear protection on, and it makes the sound as the clip is ejecting, not just when it hits the concrete. That being said, I agree with others here, unless you are all alone and the enemy is real close it shouldn't be an issue to be concerned about.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #23

Liked 2687 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 2589

If it doesn't ping it's a bad clip. They are made from spring steel. That's how you check spings, drop them on a hard surface if they ping they are good if they go thud they are bad.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I recently saw an interview with a WWII vet and he said the ping is a myth. He was a combat soldier in the Pacific. Always assumed it was real and not a myth. My two cents worth.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #25

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357 View Post
I can hear the ping from mine just fine with ear protection on
Precisely the point. Take your ear pro off, put eight rounds through your Garand and then get back to me. The only "pinging" you will be hearing is the ringing in your years.

Don't ask me how I know this.
ricepaddydaddy Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Precisely the point. Take your ear pro off, put eight rounds through your Garand and then get back to me. The only "pinging" you will be hearing is the ringing in your years.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Amen.
Not only that, but also have someone set off explosions nearby, have your adrenaline at levels you can not even imagine, have buddies left, right, and even behind you subjecting your ears to muzzle blast, etc. Unless you have been there you can never realize how damn loud ground combat is. It's not a "day at the range."
And back in WWII, or Korea, when the M1 was the rifleman's weapon there was no hearing protection.
My ears have been ringing constantly for 42 years now, we didn't have hearing protection in 'Nam either.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division