Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > The Myth About the Garand "Ping"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have been in a few fire fights, not with an M1, but if I had been I doubt that i could have heard the ping and about the only thing I could have heard and felt was my heart pulse pounding in my head over the noises of the battle.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #12

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We have a CMP affiliated club here in south MS. I'll have to ask em about ordering one.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 562 Times on 442 Posts

bogus claim.
i shot a garand for over 22 years and it does ping.
what you new guys forget is many of the pings were when it bounces off your helmet, the top of the rifle, a rock, the guy next to you, tree trunks, you name it. it pings.
i was there with hands on. you can take my word to the bank.

my father-in-law served in guadacanal. not all fire fights are all out rattle battles. a lot of them were close quarters, hole to hole. tree to tree. you can here the ping just fine that close just like you can smell the enemy.

regards
u.s navy rifle team.

Retired Naval Aviation
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
PM for Details
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 01-27-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

Liked 115 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In a full out battle, it was impossible to hear. Period. End of story. Just ain't true.

Imagine a squad all blasting away, a MG or two going at it, then add arty, then maybe some tanks....and imagine the noise of enemy fire...

They did not wear any hearing protection.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 659 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
In a full out battle, it was impossible to hear. Period. End of story. Just ain't true.

Imagine a squad all blasting away, a MG or two going at it, then add arty, then maybe some tanks....and imagine the noise of enemy fire...

They did not wear any hearing protection.
As loud as it is shooting a 30-06, try standing on the end that goes bang.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my garand makes a ping when the magazine autoejects and then it pings some more as it hits the ground or other objects as it falls. its not really that loud. the enemy would need to be standing well within 15 yards to hear it. the whole enemy waiting for the ping to attack makes for a good hollywood style story but thats about it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #17

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

My friend has a Garand we shoot. It pings when it's out, but doesn't ping when it lands in the snow or grass.

I've never been in a firefight, but I've shot the hell out of autoloading rifles from 5.56, to .308 and 30-06 without hearing protection. I couldn't imagine hearing that "ping" over shooting...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 562 Times on 442 Posts

you forget....these claims of pinging were from ww2. house to house, jungle bush to jungle bush. rocky iwo jima....
the main engagement may have been all out hell, but afterwards during clean ups and stalking....they were real close.
my uncle gave accounts where they could hear jap knives coming out of sheathes just before an attack.
pings could be heard.
end of story back at ya.

Retired Naval Aviation
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
PM for Details
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #19

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
We have a CMP affiliated club here in south MS. I'll have to ask em about ordering one.
The club doesnt order the M1 ,you do
The club affiliation is just one step to meeting requirements
Its really fairly simple and straightforward. If you need any help PM me
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you hear the ping when my M1 rifle is empty and plan on charging me, be aware that I'm a soldier of the Old School, and you will be impaled on the M5 bayonet affixed to the rifle.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Trez Likes This