Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > The Myth About the Garand "Ping"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default The Myth About the Garand "Ping"

Myths circulate around about the "ping" noise the M1 Garand made when the last round from a clip was fired and the clip ejected. This video shows that clip being ejected, in slow motion as well, and then addresses the myth that the distinct "ping" sound made when the clip ejects gave troops away during WWII. Except for some very specific and particular circumstances, it is a total and complete myth that the "ping" noise was somehow endangering troops.

Here's why:

http://youtu.be/OtDoQDJ2Bnw

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Even if they could hear the 'ping' during a battle, just because one guy is out doesn't mean the rest are. I imagine there were a lot of pings going on, imagine 50 guys shooting at you, there would be a ping every few seconds... Probably hell on the enemies nerves.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf
Myths circulate around about the "ping" noise the M1 Garand made when the last round from a clip was fired and the clip ejected. This video shows that clip being ejected, in slow motion as well, and then addresses the myth that the distinct "ping" sound made when the clip ejects gave troops away during WWII. Except for some very specific and particular circumstances, it is a total and complete myth that the "ping" noise was somehow endangering troops.

Here's why:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/OtDoQDJ2Bnw
I don't believe your video. The Internet is full of false information. As a truth seeking individual I feel it is my obligation to buy one of these rifles. For research purposes and stuff. Ha.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

: )

People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

"See, they could hear the ping, it's continuous, wait... why won't it stop???"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
LUBrowningBoy Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf

I'm just trying to make up a reason to buy another rifle. Research sounds like a good enough one. Haha.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The M1 rifle needs no excuse... Buy it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
I'm just trying to make up a reason to buy another rifle. Research sounds like a good enough one. Haha.

You can get nice ones, still, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $700 or so shipped. They aren't going down in price, so....

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
You can get nice ones, still, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $700 or so shipped. They aren't going down in price, so....
And the same rifle in a local gun shop will run you $900-$1000.

I bought mine a few years ago from a guy affiliated with the CMP, though I can't remember his name for the life of me. He is apparently a very important guy in the Garand industry, he was surprised when I didn't have a clue who he was. Showed me his name in a book about collecting Garands... Still don't remember.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
firelt Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

There has to be a little something to the ping because as the video stated, if the one veteran said that he tied a string to the clip to produce a ping sound to fool the enemy.
That would tell us that the enemy knew what the ping sound meant. I'm not saying that they always heard the ping, but if in a scout type confrontation & for some reason the scout didn't reload after his last round of fire or he fired 8 rounds there would be a ping sound.
If the enemy heard the ping, knew he was out of ammo also knew how long it took him to reload would also know that he may have a .45cal back up pistol.
So unless the enemy was ready to attack all at the same time, knowing that two or three of them may get shot,
I wouldn't think that this situation would happen much if at all.
I agree that in a full out battle front not much opposing action was taken when the ping said that the shooter was out of ammo, if it was even heard.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton