Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   The Myth About the Garand "Ping" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/myth-about-garand-ping-82582/)

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 02:00 PM

The Myth About the Garand "Ping"
 
Myths circulate around about the "ping" noise the M1 Garand made when the last round from a clip was fired and the clip ejected. This video shows that clip being ejected, in slow motion as well, and then addresses the myth that the distinct "ping" sound made when the clip ejects gave troops away during WWII. Except for some very specific and particular circumstances, it is a total and complete myth that the "ping" noise was somehow endangering troops.

Here's why:

http://youtu.be/OtDoQDJ2Bnw

sputnik1988 01-27-2013 02:09 PM

Even if they could hear the 'ping' during a battle, just because one guy is out doesn't mean the rest are. I imagine there were a lot of pings going on, imagine 50 guys shooting at you, there would be a ping every few seconds... Probably hell on the enemies nerves.

hoovco 01-27-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsdorf
Myths circulate around about the "ping" noise the M1 Garand made when the last round from a clip was fired and the clip ejected. This video shows that clip being ejected, in slow motion as well, and then addresses the myth that the distinct "ping" sound made when the clip ejects gave troops away during WWII. Except for some very specific and particular circumstances, it is a total and complete myth that the "ping" noise was somehow endangering troops.

Here's why:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/OtDoQDJ2Bnw

I don't believe your video. The Internet is full of false information. As a truth seeking individual I feel it is my obligation to buy one of these rifles. For research purposes and stuff. Ha.

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 02:22 PM

Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

: )

sputnik1988 01-27-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsdorf (Post 1112185)
Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

: )

"See, they could hear the ping, it's continuous, wait... why won't it stop???"

hoovco 01-27-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsdorf
Hoovc, or...you can come out with me to the range and stand next to me when I'm shooting mine, without hearing protection, and we can talk about how well you could hear the "ping"

: )

I'm just trying to make up a reason to buy another rifle. Research sounds like a good enough one. Haha.

sputnik1988 01-27-2013 02:34 PM

The M1 rifle needs no excuse... Buy it.;)

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoovco (Post 1112195)
I'm just trying to make up a reason to buy another rifle. Research sounds like a good enough one. Haha.


You can get nice ones, still, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $700 or so shipped. They aren't going down in price, so....

sputnik1988 01-27-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amsdorf (Post 1112229)
You can get nice ones, still, from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $700 or so shipped. They aren't going down in price, so....

And the same rifle in a local gun shop will run you $900-$1000.

I bought mine a few years ago from a guy affiliated with the CMP, though I can't remember his name for the life of me. He is apparently a very important guy in the Garand industry, he was surprised when I didn't have a clue who he was. Showed me his name in a book about collecting Garands... Still don't remember.:p

7.62 Man 01-27-2013 03:20 PM

There has to be a little something to the ping because as the video stated, if the one veteran said that he tied a string to the clip to produce a ping sound to fool the enemy.
That would tell us that the enemy knew what the ping sound meant. I'm not saying that they always heard the ping, but if in a scout type confrontation & for some reason the scout didn't reload after his last round of fire or he fired 8 rounds there would be a ping sound.
If the enemy heard the ping, knew he was out of ammo also knew how long it took him to reload would also know that he may have a .45cal back up pistol.
So unless the enemy was ready to attack all at the same time, knowing that two or three of them may get shot,
I wouldn't think that this situation would happen much if at all.
I agree that in a full out battle front not much opposing action was taken when the ping said that the shooter was out of ammo, if it was even heard.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.