Mystery Enfield?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mystery Enfield?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Default Mystery Enfield?

Hi all:

So I finally took the plunge and bought my first Enfield, even though I only know the most basic points about them. I bought this gun from a fellow Calgunner who has shot it and it seems to be a nice rifle. To be clear, this rifle seems to me to possibly be a mix master, the wood looks as if it has been sanded and that's okay as I got a good deal and I want this mainly as a shooter more than a collector. That said, some of the parts look as if they could have been scrubbed, for some reason, most of the markings look soft and garbled, take a look, you'll see what I mean.

A few questions:

1. The receiver is stamped "England" and has a small crown proof mark so I know that this is not a Canadian, American or Australian. But the markings on the opposite side receiver band are a mish mosh, even the serial number looks funky. The date 1943 is pretty clear and several of the parts of stamped with an upper case B.

2. Is that seam along the bottom of the magazine normal?

3. The bolt is tight and smooth and the trigger feels very good for a military rifle. The bore looks to have lots of life left in it, it has some mirror shine to it, can't tell if the particulate in the bore is corrosion, carbon or just grease/cosmo residue? I will have to give this gun a good cleaning to get the whole story on the bore, but strong lands and grooves.

4. Crown and front sight look good.

5. Seller listed it as an Enfield #4 MKI, but in looking at the faint receiver markings, they look like No 4 MKII to me? How can one tell the difference between a No 4 MKI and MKII?

This is my first so are there any problem or trouble areas to look for? I will buy a few hundred rounds of Prvi to put through it and will then begin reloading with that brass.

Let me know what you think about this rifle and what your opinions are as to the possible origin of it. Also came with the pig sticker and cover, both of which are in great shape. Very happy I took the plunge, even though I have only shot one Enfield, I like them and will likely enjoy shooting with this one a lot.

Last edited by Capybara; 02-23-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Last edited by Capybara; 02-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Of the couple No4s that I have, the seam on the magazine can be full length and very obvious or it can be welded over and ground kinda smooth (Savage). So, I would say yours is somewhere in the middle.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Starting with the No. 4 mark 1, the numbers were all Arabic instead of Roman, So that would be a No. 4 Mark 2, not a Mark II. No. 4 MK 2 was adopted in 1949, 6 years after yours. The aluminum buttplate was WW 2- went back to brass in 49.

Biggest difference between mark 1 and mark 2- on the mark 1, trigger is attached to trigger guard. mark 2, attached it to receiver. MUCH better trigger.

Pretty rifle, BTW.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys. I am hearing some interesting info from all of the boards I posted this to but as far as I can see, this thing is a mix master mutt, which is fine for the price I bought it for, it will be a nice looking shooter, not a rare collectible.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

I would like to see a picture or two of the Wrist, then it would`nt be a mystery.................

When all else fails.