My Webley MP .450 Davis is home again
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My Webley MP .450 Davis is home again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default My Webley MP .450 Davis is home again

A few month ago my brother gave me a Webley MP model made in the 1880's that my uncle brought home from Britain during WWII. He was stationed with Brit units in SE Asia and gave the revolver to my grandfather as a war trophy when he returned in 1945. Upon my grandfathers death in 1968 my father got the gun and he kept it until he died in 1995. It was "lost" until a few month ago when my younger brother found it in a shoe box stored in my mothers bedroom closet. It seems my mother returned the Webley to my uncle Bob (who I was named after) when my dad died and he kept it until just before his death a few years ago at age 92. He went to a nursing home a few months before his death and gave the revolver back to my mother when he moved out of his home. My mother kept the gun until her death last summer and my brother found it as they were sorting through her things afterwards. He knew I'd always had an interest in the pistol - it was the first handgun I ever fired back in the 60's as a teen - so he gave it to me.

Overall it was in outstanding condition except for a trigger problem... the trigger failed to reset after it was pulled. Well, I finally took the gun to a local repair shop to be checked out last week. The smith checked it over, cleaned the insides and discovered the reason for the trigger problem. It seems a spring had simply come loose, probably due to age. He replaced it with a new one since the old spring seemed weak and now the gun works like new. In fact, he was so impressed by the condition of the gun he offered to buy it from me for his own collection! I said thanks but no thanks and I now have the Webley back home again.

Now, if I could just find some 450 Davis ammo...

s2010677.jpg   s2010678.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #2

Cool story,glad you have it now.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Being an 1883 MP (Metropolitan Police) model, it was built for the London police and would have been around during the time of Jack the Ripper. I've often wondered if it was carried by one of the detectives searching the alleys of White Chapel in 1888. Of course he was only a character of fiction, but I can envision Sherlock Holmes carrying one as he chases Professor Moriarty through the back streets of Victorian London or fires his Webley at the Hound of the Baskervilles.

If it could only talk, I wonder what tales my Webley would tell about it's travels from the banks of the Thames River to the hills of Texas ...

Last edited by rachilders; 03-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.