Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My new project!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I thought Hasqvarna made leaf blowers and chainsaws? /boggle

What kind of groups do "sniper guns" shoot at 300 yds?

Clay birds are 4 inchish diameter?

Nice looking gun!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #32

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post

Nice looking gun!
Don't forget dirt bikes!

But seriously, Husqvarna made some of the best firearms on the market, for a very long time.

A high quality rifle that can turn in 1/4" groups at 100 yards, will turn in 3/4" groups at 300 yards.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #33

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post

Nice looking gun!
Groups: well each country in WW2 had their own criteria. The Brit No4mk1(T)
seemed kind of odd as it was expected to shoot a 3" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Why? The ammo it used, MKVII had a hollow nose under the jacket and took 100 yards to stablize. This air space caused the bullet to yaw when it hit flesh. Surprisingly enough, it still shot the same basic group size at 300 yards. No specialized ammo was made for it.
The Germans on the other hand were very anal about their rifles and ammo. There is no data for rifles that exists as it was destroyed as the Allies approached. Ammo on the other hand existed and it was disected by the Allies. All the ammo was precision manufactured. If the standard was 1" at 100 meters, it had to shoot 8" at 800 meters. This is still a formula the U.S. Army uses today.
The Swede's and Swiss were really anal and it helped that they were not at war. The fit and finish on their standard rifles is second to none, that translates into accuracy. The Germans came up w/ a test that was used by many european countries to test the potental accuracy of a barreled action. A piece of glass w/ fine sand spread on it was rested on top of the barrel. When the action was fired, the sand would make a harmonic print of the barrel harmonics. If the harmonics were a mirror image, and met at the muzzle, it ment this was a shooter.
BTW, my shots at the clays was off hand, standing. Just a sling wrap for support.
Out of all my "Snipers" the accuracy of my Swede M41b is hard to beat w/ scope or iron sights. Scopes, mounts, and bases were fitted to a specific rifle. When you deal w/ side mounted scopes, the serial numbers of the base, mount, and rifle match. Kim Du Toit wrote some great articles on Vintage snipers. Really great reading.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.