Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My "New" Old Rifles....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Default My "New" Old Rifles....

Thanks alot for encouraging a addict...

M1895 Steyr "Stuzen" I guess these were a conversion done by the Nazi's for one of their allies? It came with some Nazi ammo from 1938/39.

Very neat action!! "Almost" a semi-auto, with a En-Bloc clip, I jokingly call it my bolt action Garand... I would like to know who thought to put the rear sling swivel right where you hold the rifle... Its a little weird to get use to...

000_0001-3-.jpg   000_0004-2-.jpg   000_0005-3-.jpg   000_0003-1-.jpg   000_0002-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Trez; 01-28-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Heres the Enfield, Its a 1942 BSA No.I Mk. III*.. Actually much more complicated than I thought, From somebody who's had mostly "Mauser" derived rifles, its very strange...
It has a weird trigger system and bolt... Whats the deal with the two part stock? Why did they make a little "nose" for the bayonet, instead of it going over the barrel like other rifles of its day?

I do like the fine adjustment for the sights, thats pretty neat!

000_0001-3-.jpg   000_0002-1-.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Liked 1086 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

You got em both, good deal & your welcome...............

When all else fails.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Got to love these old guns! I think I'm going to pick up a Steyr M95 Stutzen to go with my M95/34. There doesn't seem to be much difference between them other than the rear sights and sling swivels.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Re: two piece stock, and "nose" for the bayonet- The British USED their rifles- with bayonets.

Oh, not just in WW 1- remember, they were the Empire on which the sun never sat. Dealing with troublesome natives, brigands, the odd riot or melee here and there- if you damaged the wood, replace the part you damaged (and the buttstock DID come in 3 different lengths- depending on whether you were a Ghurka or a Scot Highlander)

The "nose" for the bayonet reduced the likelihood of bending the barrel when using the sword bayonet.

BTW, have you noticed just how FAST that bolt action is?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

dteed4094 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Re: two piece stock, and "nose" for the bayonet- The British USED their rifles- with bayonets.

Oh, not just in WW 1- remember, they were the Empire on which the sun never sat. Dealing with troublesome natives, brigands, the odd riot or melee here and there- if you damaged the wood, replace the part you damaged (and the buttstock DID come in 3 different lengths- depending on whether you were a Ghurka or a Scot Highlander)

The "nose" for the bayonet reduced the likelihood of bending the barrel when using the sword bayonet.

BTW, have you noticed just how FAST that bolt action is?
Ok The stock thing makes sense, just seems strange nobody else did it then...

Didnt everybody use their bayonets?? What about the Japanese? I thought they Bayoneted everything... Hell they would Bayonet charge tanks!

I donno I gotta give the quickest bolt to the "Ruck-Zuck" over the Enfield...

I have a quick question, whats the swivel in front of the mag for?

Last edited by Trez; 01-28-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Some of the rifles had 3 sling swivels- on at the front of the trigger guard. That point could also be used to attach the canvas action cover so that when you unsnapped the cover, you did not lose it.

http://imageevent.com/willyp/forsaletradeitems1/weaponsrelateditems?p=9&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

You will also find some rifles with what sorta looks like a 4th sling swivel out near the muzzle, but the swivel band has a slot at center. Those were known to the Brits as a piling swivel- to the Americans, a stacking swivel. Permiited 3-5 rifles to be "stacked" when not in use, rather than laying on the ground. After the M1 Garand, we stopped using stacking swivels, and used the slings to "stack arms".

stacking-swivel.jpg

stack-arms.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt