My new old gun...got info???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My new old gun...got info???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My new old gun...got info???

Picked up this Krag sporter last weekend. Looks like the work was done by RF Sedgley. The info i have found on him looks like did most of his work on 03's but did work on Krags. Its got an interesting front sight and a Redfield peep sight on the back. Anyone seen one like this before? Info on Sedgley Krags? Was scope mount post Sedgley work on rifle? What u guys think?

forumrunner_20120911_134438.jpg   forumrunner_20120911_134454.jpg   forumrunner_20120911_134511.jpg   forumrunner_20120911_134522.jpg   forumrunner_20120911_134536.jpg  

forumrunner_20120911_134553.jpg   forumrunner_20120911_134608.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know the pedigree of the sporterizer, but that is a beautiful rifle.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I bought a krag a few years ago that looked very similar to this one. It also had the redfield sights. I took it to a reputable gun shop and they told me it was worthless because of the stock being cut up. I took the same gun to gander mountain and they paid $500 for it.

I paid $200 for mine. The only reason I sold it was because ammo cost around $30-$40 for a box of 20.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1369 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3476

Anyone that would "sporterize" and antique rifle should be hung from a street lamp by their thumbs!!

I mean, why would anyone willingly chop up a piece of history? Now if you build a "sporterized" version from parts, that is different.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Anyone that would "sporterize" and antique rifle should be hung from a street lamp by their thumbs!!

I mean, why would anyone willingly chop up a piece of history? Now if you build a "sporterized" version from parts, that is different.
"Thumbs" you say!?!? I would say "happy parts"!!

Those idiots on American guns did this a couple weeks ago. Dumbass brought in his gramppas Krag to be desecrated.

Sickening!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I watched in horror as they did it!! Finished the show in the fetal position whimpering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
"Thumbs" you say!?!? I would say "happy parts"!!

Those idiots on American guns did this a couple weeks ago. Dumbass brought in his gramppas Krag to be desecrated.

Sickening!
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

I do appreciate a vintage untouched original rifle but this was at a killer price and in better shape than any krag ive seen before. And from what heard sedgley was one of the best at sporting guns

Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
I watched in horror as they did it!! Finished the show in the fetal position whimpering.

That makes two of us.

I also see on Pawn Stars idiots coming in and selling heirloom guns that had been handed down for generations....I could just IMAGINE the "visit" i would receive from the graves of my forefathers if i EVER EVEN THOUGHT about selling the guns i am the caretaker of...

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfernaays View Post
I do appreciate a vintage untouched original rifle but this was at a killer price and in better shape than any krag ive seen before. And from what heard sedgley was one of the best at sporting guns
OH i understand you didnt do or initiate the desecration but bought it that way instead...we're just talking "side bar".

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I watched an episode last night where guy came in with a mid 1700's Double Barreled Coach gun that was passed down to him from his Great-Great Grand Father or something in that line. Was told that it would fetch about $20,000 at auction and let it go for $4,000.00 in a swap for a Les Paul guitar of the same value only because his wife TOLD him to get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
That makes two of us.

I also see on Pawn Stars idiots coming in and selling heirloom guns that had been handed down for generations....I could just IMAGINE the "visit" i would receive from the graves of my forefathers if i EVER EVEN THOUGHT about selling the guns i am the caretaker of...