My New Mil-Surp....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My New Mil-Surp....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Default My New Mil-Surp....

... Isnt a M1
Ive been wanting a Arisaka for sometime now, and a buddy told of some at a local shop. The guy had several arisakas, a variant of a type 38 and some type 99's. The one I picked was a type 99, and I think its a "pre-last ditch" as it has the anti-aircraft sights, and monopod mount. The guy was telling me it was a G.I bring back, and has a "duffel cut" in the stock. Whoever did it did a good job and the stock still is very sturdy. It still has the "mum" on it and has all matching #'s. The Sn# is417xx, can anyone date?

The firing pin is broken but ive read its an easy fix, can any of the gunsmiths here fix it.. i would like to keep the original over buying a replacement... (I may even consider becoming a full member of the forum, if i was done right... )
Im missing the long buttplate screw and the rear most screw for the stock anyone have these?

Heres some pics...

107_5219.jpg   107_5220.jpg   107_5212.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Default Arisaka Pics..

Heres more pics....

107_5218.jpg   107_5213.jpg  

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Cool looking gun.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

very nice 99...& it still has the mum
is it chambered for 7.7 jap rd.?
my father-n-law has one just like this one,was a vet bring back from his father...the rifle is very accurate,i've heard that the Arisaka's actions are one of the strongest made...great find Trez

Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #6

I just bought a firing pin... Anybody know where i could find some 7.7x58 Ammo? Everywhere I look is outta stock..

Last edited by Trez; 04-26-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: changed

Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I just bought a firing pin... Anybody know where i could find some 7.7x58 Ammo? Everywhere I look is outta stock..
Grats on finding such a nice Mod. 99. This may not be what you wanted but MidwayUSA.com has everything you would need to load your own 7.7 if you are set up for that. I also found some on the auction sites such as auctionarms.com etc.

Nice thing about the Arisaka rifles is that even the "last ditch" models had superior metalergy. Their recievers are basically "bullet proof" pardon the pun..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Looks like ill have to backorder some.... I found loaded soft-point for $25 for a box of 20, But just the brass alone is $28 for 20?? WTF??? How can just the brass be more than fully loaded ammo???!!!

I hope I can shoot this thing in time for my B-day......

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I think you will like the "Kyu-jyu-kyu shiki" (Model 99) Rifle. I had one like yours, shot it some, reloaded for it...Like a dummy I traded it off for something else, likewise the reloading dies...

Mine was accurate, kicked like a bay mule, and I have read that those actions were very strong. Operating the safety with the palm of my hand was
neat...

Oh, the Japanese word for rifle is Teppo...

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Looks like ill have to backorder some.... I found loaded soft-point for $25 for a box of 20, But just the brass alone is $28 for 20?? WTF??? How can just the brass be more than fully loaded ammo???!!!

I hope I can shoot this thing in time for my B-day......
One word: "NORMA" Norma brass is ALWAYS expensive. You might also try these folks: buffalowarms.com May also have what you are looking for .. Sometimes it just works out that the guns we love end up becoming high maint. Generally not the case with milsurps unless you are wanting to shoot relatively odd ball calibers like the 7.7 x 58 Jap. and the 6.5 Jap.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"