My Mossberg addiction.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > My Mossberg addiction.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These things always start out so small and innocent, and now here I am with a full on addiction!

If any of you are familiar with old Mossberg .22's, you know they are generally regarded as very accurate rifles and are often quite inexpensive.

So. Several months ago a friend of mine told me he had an old rifle that he didn't have time for, and he knew I would do it justice. He gave me an old Mossberg 42C, missing the rear sight, buttplate, and magazine. It had literally no blueing left on the barrel and only a small amount left on the receiver. The barrel was full of crud and the muzzle end was rusty. The action had 30 years worth of dust and hair in it, and the takedown screw was super goobered up and seized. This model was offered from 1939 to 1943 I believe.

Well, I got it cleaned up, and bought a rear sight, was gifted a few parts including the optics from a few fellow mossberg collectors on the Internet, and got to shootin it. Trigger is heavy as hell for some reason, but this thing still makes a dime sized hole at 25 yards.

After buying the magazine, my total investment in this rifle was $38.00....which was the cost of the magazine. It's ugly, been rode hard and put away wet most of its life (70+ years) but its still a shooter!

image-2583395817.jpg

Last week I randomly stopped Into a local gun shop and looked past all the black stuff on the wall and saw some pretty wood that was a familiar shape. They had a great condition Mossberg 146B-A on the wall. These were made early/mid 50's. tube fed bolt action. I was excited because I had been wanting a model with peep sights. This rifle was complete, blueing was probably 98% (several scratches) and the price was pretty fair. Nothing spectacular, but fair.

I paid for it, but being on consignment it has to be held for 30 days to make sure it doesn't come up as stolen. I pick it up this coming Saturday. Needless to say, I was (and still am) psyched.

Figured its okay, 2 mossbergs is fine. Nothing crazy and this would be a good Christmas present to myself.

image-2015334303.jpg

Now for the gem...

Flash forward to yesterday. I was on a local forum and saw something that took me by surprise. Fellow was selling a mint Mossberg 44 US, marked US Property. These were produced in the early 40's and were used as sharpshooter training rifles during WWII. They have been available through the CMP on and off.

I had to resist it, but I got the seller to a price I couldn't refuse and went I see it. This rifle is clearly unissued, and appears unfired. Blueing is 100% and every edge on the thing is SHARP. No wear on the bolt or magazine, and the bore looks as good if not better than any of the guns I have bought brand new.

Scored pretty big here! I can't wait to shoot it.

image-2983116214.jpg

image-1983802694.jpg

image-2642648606.jpg

image-333913769.jpg

I'm sure there will be more to come in the future....but two in one week means I should probably slow down a little haha. I will definitely post range reports on the two new ones when I get out to shoot them.

Thanks for looking!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 12-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1956 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 11128

I don't suffer from an addiction to old Mossbergs. I enjoy every second of it.

I currently have 3 in the collection, and recently sent 2 off to new homes. I have a 200 k, a 185 d, and a 183 d in my collection. The 2 that have left were a 185 ka, gifted to a friend for his son, and a 151 m that I had on a long term loan from my grandfather after doing some minor repairs. It is now in Nebraska with my uncle as per my grandfather's will. It is back with the person who used to use it to hunt, and for competitive shooting while he was in college. that's the one I am really going to miss. With it's the micro click rear and front hooded globe sights, that rifle is a tack driver.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I don't suffer from an addiction to old Mossbergs. I enjoy every second of it.

I currently have 3 in the collection, and recently sent 2 off to new homes. I have a 200 k, a 185 d, and a 183 d in my collection. The 2 that have left were a 185 ka, gifted to a friend for his son, and a 151 m that I had on a long term loan from my grandfather after doing some minor repairs. It is now in Nebraska with my uncle as per my grandfather's will. It is back with the person who used to use it to hunt, and for competitive shooting while he was in college. that's the one I am really going to miss. With it's the micro click rear and front hooded globe sights, that rifle is a tack driver.
Those 151M's (or any of the mannlicher's for that matter) are beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a mannlicher mossberg at some point. All in good time.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9932 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 1572

They ways to tell you are a die hard Mossbergaholic-

1. You have Vic & Cheryl Havlin's number on speed dial (havlinsales.com- best source of Mossy parts there is)

2. You have damguy's Mossberg site in your favorites folder

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

3. You cruise the used racks at your local gun shop, looking for trigger guards with finger grooves

4. You prowl on-line gun auctions, checking for Mossburgs and Moosebergs (if the cretin can't read what is stamped on the barrel, he does not deserve it)

Am up to about 2 dozen Mossy's- but I can quit anytime I want. Yeah, that's the ticket- anytime! *it's too late for me- save yourself!*

Stable includes 44 US, 142, 151, 51M, 151M, 151K, 46B, etc.. Also 83, 183, 85, 185, etc.

You will like the 44US, you will LOVE the 46B. You can get a scope mount from Vic, but be sure to hang onto the rear sight. Worth weight in gold, etc.

pistols-001.jpg

rifles-014.jpg

rifles-015.jpg

rifles-016.jpg

Sorry- ignore that last one- Winchester.

rifles-017.jpg  

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-16-2013 at 02:18 AM.
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 AM   #5

Thats right, I recall that you were a mossberg man, commented on my old 42C when I posted that.

I had no idea you were SUCH a mossberg man though! 2 dozen? haha. And here my girl thinks I'm crazy because I now have 3!

I've made a few calls to Havlin in the past. Just picked up a magazine from them when they finally came back in stock. They didn't last too long!

I could tell how nice the trigger on the 146B-A was, just from memory it was better than the 44, which seems a bit heavy though it is VERY solid with no creep. I swear that one must be unfired. No wear anywhere inside or out.

Anyway, i'll be getting to the range over christmas vacation! The girl still had to work b ut I'm off Sat-Wed so I'll be sure to get some range time in.

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 12-16-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #6

And I almost picked up a 151K the other day, but the seller wouldnt budge from $200. Said no thanks!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

So, finally picked up the 146B-A

Cleaned up real nice. It was dirty dirty dirty when I got it.

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1387665471.529970.jpg

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1387665521.200269.jpg

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1387665546.492896.jpg

The only flaws I found, inside and out, are these scratches by the front sight hood
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1387665598.446693.jpg

And this side of the stock is a lil scratched up.
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1387665634.081053.jpg

The trigger on this one is AWESOME

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #8

Why does every picture in this new App look horrible?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #9

Liked 784 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 243

My brother has one of these Mossberg Brownie

browny.jpg  

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9932 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 1572

THOSE are hard to come by!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.