Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   my mosin m38 could't hit at the range. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/my-mosin-m38-couldt-hit-range-91406/)

surplusaddict 05-28-2013 08:30 PM

my mosin m38 could't hit at the range.

I shot at 50 and 100 yards and i couldnt get a decent strike after expelling about 20 surplus rounds, all hit off target high right but what do you expect from a $89 rifle. Does leave a mark on the shoulder though. ;)

kfox75 05-30-2013 05:06 AM

Left a mark on the shoulder? Never had that problem with mine. :p

A few suggestions on the miss problem.

1. try a bigger target.
2. affix bayonet.
3. get some Q-tips.
4. try different ammo.
5. grab the rifle by the fore end, and use it as a paddle or a club.

Seriously though, i would try something other than Mil-surp ammo for better accuracy, and try affixing your bayonet. According to some, this helps. You are hitting high right, are you getting a fairly consistent group? If so, try holding low left by the distance you are off.

Welcome to Mosinitis, there is no known cure, but it can be treated with regular range sessions. The only warning I will give is this:

Do not be surprised when you discover that your M\N has cloned it's self during the night, this happens from time to time. This is generally not a problem, but they can breed like rabbits, taking over your gun safe in no time at all. Buy a bigger safe now. :D

nitestalker 05-30-2013 05:23 AM

They are a product of Communism. They usually shoot way "Left".:eek:

sputnik1988 05-30-2013 06:21 AM

All m91/30s need to be sighted in, they were designed to be fitted with the bayonet attached at all times and were sighted that way.

As stated, either affix the bayonet or sight it in. They are quite a bit more accurate than given credit for a lot of times.

c3shooter 05-30-2013 09:12 AM

M38 Carbine does not have a bayonet. M44 has folding bayonet.

surplusaddict 05-30-2013 08:22 PM

The m38 doesn't have a bayonet. I love the rifle but it wont hit at 50 yards, the bore is very good and clean but it was counterbored. I guess i'll try at 25 yards and scare the hell out of everyone.

SSGN_Doc 05-30-2013 10:08 PM

Try drifting your front sight to the right. Then you can see if the sight pin can be screwed upward to account for elevation. If not I have seen folks take insulation off of copper wire and slip it over the post so that it effectively makes a taller fronst sight post. You would want enough to make it starts shooting a bit low. The trim it until it is where you need it.

You can also take the gunn completely apart and chack your barrel channel in the stock and then tkae a deep well socket froma socket set that fits pretty snug when wrapped in sand papeer, and try to clear out any pressure points that may be coming in contact with the barrel in some uneven fashion. Sand the entire barrel channel back to about 2 inches infront of the chamber area and just short of the last inch of the muzzle end. See how that effects things. If it shoots kind of erratic, then you cna try some business cards under the barrel at tha last inch until you build up a bit of a pressure pad under the barrel in that last inch of the barrel channel. the idea is to have a consistent pressure on the barrel in only one area.

thdrduck 06-02-2013 12:52 PM

Get a bigger target, aim at the same place for each shot. The group is more important then where it hits when you first start out. If you can get a good group then worry about adjusting the sights to get it to hit where you want.
Mine likes Winchester white box. Had a guy bring his by my range and he couldn't shoot his way out of a bag with it no matter what he fed it. Some are great shooters, some are good shooters and some make good paddles.

JTJ 06-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1265332)
Get a bigger target, aim at the same place for each shot. The group is more important then where it hits when you first start out. If you can get a good group then worry about adjusting the sights to get it to hit where you want.
Mine likes Winchester white box. Had a guy bring his by my range and he couldn't shoot his way out of a bag with it no matter what he fed it. Some are great shooters, some are good shooters and some make good paddles.

They are too heavy for paddles. Anchors maybe.

therewolf 06-02-2013 03:35 PM

IME, the cold shot is dead-on accurate

with most Mosins. Then the barrel starts

to heat up.