Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   My Mauser and Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/my-mauser-questions-90377/)

BHawks 05-09-2013 03:49 AM

My Mauser and Questions

47 Attachment(s)
I was at the local gun store and I saw a tag labelled "Mauser 98" and for $175. I assume it is a great deal even for being sporterized, so I bought it. This was kind of an impulse buy considering I did almost a years worth of Swiss K-31 research and appreciation before deciding to buy one. Anyway I don't know a great deal about it or some of the important information I should know, so here are my questions :) . Thanks for all answers!!! MOST IMPORTANT is: Given it says Model 98 on the side of the receiver, which 8mm cartridge does it shoot and where would I find cheap ammo? Because it says 43 on the top of the receiver, is that the year it made? How good of condition is it judging by the pictures? based on your personal opinions, do you think I should get the stock they were originally made with? Please don't argue on the last question. Thanks :)

Attachment 100099

Attachment 100100

robertb6112 05-09-2013 04:20 AM

I think if the barrel wasn't cut down and everything else is in order, I would get the original stock. But that's just me. I did it with a sporterized 03 Springfield. I would have paid $175 for it. Last year I seen them for $350 sporterized. In a little better condition.

robocop10mm 05-09-2013 04:37 AM

bnz is the factory code for the Steyer factory in Austria under NAZI control. They turned out fine rifles. Whoever "bubba'd" that rifle needs to be flogged.

Since it has not been drilled and tapped for scope mount and the barrel seems to be original length, I would consider trying to return it to the original stock configuration.

The correct ammo is 7.92 X 57 JS (.323 bore)

string1946 05-09-2013 05:18 PM

if I was mine I would do whatever I could to return it to its original configuration as robocop suggested and use that stock to stake tomato plants.

Sniper03 05-09-2013 05:36 PM

BHawks,

I agree with Sting. I would try to find an original stock for it if possible. It would increase the value and the personal value. When I was 14-16 and working in a gun shop after school owned by an old family friend. I started buying old military rifles for around $30 -$35 including some 98Ks and some Springfields, sporterizing them and selling them for $75.00 to $125.00. Not bad money for a kid! I Modified the stocks a little better than the one in the picture for sure. Then drilled and tapped the receivers for scope mounts. Now I could KMA! for doing it. I was trashing history and forever ruining great rifles. So as I said, if it were mine, I would certainly try to locate a correct period stock for it.
Long live the Original 98ks, the Original 1903 Springfields and other historic fine weapons!

Garadex 05-09-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1241472)

This or some call it 8mm Mauser

BHawks 05-09-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
bnz is the factory code for the Steyer factory in Austria under NAZI control. They turned out fine rifles. Whoever "bubba'd" that rifle needs to be flogged.

Since it has not been drilled and tapped for scope mount and the barrel seems to be original length, I would consider trying to return it to the original stock configuration.

Thanks, do you know where I could find a stock for a decent price? :)

BHawks 05-09-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garadex

This or some call it 8mm Mauser

Does this mean I could shoot either one? :)

string1946 05-09-2013 08:13 PM

I don't know where you can get one right off the top of my head but I'll be on the lookout for one. You might try Gun Parts Corp. and Sarco. I'll check Shotgun News and see if there is anything listed there. Good luck.

BHawks 05-09-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by string1946
I don't know where you can get one right off the top of my head but I'll be on the lookout for one. You might try Gun Parts Corp. and Sarco. I'll check Shotgun News and see if there is anything listed there. Good luck.

Thank you very much, but you don't have to do that. I can look around too, but that is greatly appreciated that you offered. :)