my $87 vz 24!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > my $87 vz 24!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default my $87 vz 24!!!!

I just picked this up 2 days ago from a local guy on gunlistings.org for $87. I have always wanted a mauser rifle and as far as I can tell its was worth it. However i don't know crap about Mauser rifles. If anybody can tell me if this is a good one or not, would be much appreciated. The barrel is pitted and real dark the stock has been done over with linseed oil. It stamped on the side of the receiver Zbrojovka BRNO,a.s. VZ 24. The serial number is RR 6971. The bolt is marked DR 715. and the stock is marked R 740. It looks like there was once some kind of symbol marked on the top of the chamber behind the sight but i cant tell what it was. Thats all the markings i can find. Thanks for any future help fellas. Sorry for the horrible pictures.

tn.jpg   tn1.jpg   tn2.jpg   tn3.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I believe the ground off area would have held a crest or manufacturers rollmark of some sort. It was common to do that on captured rifles. I would guess that you have Russian capture.

dsc_0460.jpg  
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

Yeah the only thing visible is what looks to be the out side edges on some kind of wreath or olive branch's. but the middle is blank.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #4

It looks like the remains of this CA

vz24crest.jpg  

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The VZ24 is a very good Mauser rifle, but of course, it all depends how it has been treated over the decades.
A dark bore is not necessarily bad - many dark bores still shoot very well, even with some pitting. Take her to the range and let her tell her own tale. Though since it has been assembled from mismatched parts, first having a good 'smith check the headspace and use the 'go-no go' gauges would be a good idea.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Liked 709 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 725

You have a contract VZ24. There is a letter block on the receiver above the serial number. It should start w/ E. Could be from Guatemala, or Uruguay.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You have a contract VZ24. There is a letter block on the receiver above the serial number. It should start w/ E. Could be from Guatemala, or Uruguay.
Nope there is nothing there. There are little circles with a Z in the middle stamped all over the place on the gun though.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That partial crest is driving me crazy. I think I know it, but it just won't come to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
That partial crest is driving me crazy. I think I know it, but it just won't come to me.
That picture i posted up top there is the same as what was on mine. I read on the interwebs that is is a romainian crest but i dont know how credible this info is. If you figure it out I would love to know.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

What about this symbol?

Saw it here...

RiflesMauser

EDIT...
Listing no longer available, Sorry.

Just a thought.

Last edited by VitSports6; 04-05-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: listing NLA

Newest Threads