Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mounting a red dot scope on my Mosin Nagant.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa View Post
As one gets older his eyes are not as sharp as before. At my age I need all the help I can get just to see the target. Optics seem to be the only way for me. I have an assorted collection of mil-surps (15) all in original condition but am considering optics on some of them for tired, old eyes. If you can't see it, you can't hit it!
absotivley! I don't see much reason to own a gun that I can't shoot unless it holds a special spot in my heart. My grandpas 8mm mauser,(spelled wrong I'm sure) one of my uncles had it sporterized and it can't hold a 20 inch group at 100 yards. Nice looking gun, but worthless to shoot. Buy a Mosin to keep history and buy another to shoot. If you want to bag on me for moding my mosin... go right ahead, I really don't care.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #22

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner View Post
i am not bashing in any way so please everyone dont take this as hostile in any way... please. i dont get why people customize historical surplus rifles in any way. is it just taste? although your rifles are not too intense, i have seen some radical j-rigged mosins out there. but why would one do this to a part of history? i dont understand... this was not hostile in any way. i just dont get it... i apologize if anyone took it the wrong way. it was intended nicely. used to have 3 of them and i would never think of such a thing to do to them. there was alot of them made but they are not being made anymore. am i respecting history too much? when i watch the military channel and see soviets assembling mosins on the assembly lines in black and white i would hate to change the things there hands have done. i am completely against communism but its still history and mosins will run out one day and will most likely cost thousands to own one that has not been radically modified in some way.
Because I own it. Therefore, I can do whatever I want with it.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #23

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There were over 2 million 91/30's made. Most guns that have become collectors items had a small production run. Maybe in 300 years the mosin nagant will become a collectible item.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Take a good look through a variable pistol scope before you buy one. Look at it at the same distance from your eye as it would be on the rifle and vary the power. I have a 2.5x pistol scope mounted forward of the receiver on my Mini 30 and I am recommending you stay with a fixed power in the 2x or 2.5x range.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #25

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
There were over 2 million 91/30's made. Most guns that have become collectors items had a small production run. Maybe in 300 years the mosin nagant will become a collectible item.
And maybe not. Like many things, just because it is old doesn't make it valuable. A 78 record is worth about $1 because they made them by the train load and in the next 60 years or so I expect them to be worth..... about a buck. Mosins have gained a bit in price over the last 5 or so years because people have found that if you put a trigger in it and scope it you can have a pretty fair high power rifle for pretty cheap. My kid is a purest and would not change anything on his, mine is scoped and triggered. Some say potato.....

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer