Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mounting a red dot scope on my Mosin Nagant.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Default Mounting a red dot scope on my Mosin Nagant.

I picked up a set of weaver mounts for a 3/8 dovetail. If you knock out the pins the rear sight can be gently tapped forward with a plastic mallet. The dove tail underneath works great for 3/8 mounts. I have seen mounts that people get to mount on top of the rear sight base. But this seems much stonger to me. I was able to simply mount my scope right on top. I have also put a pistol style scope on the same way.dsc00405.jpg

dsc00407.jpg

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Beats drilling and tapping for a mount.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #3

Yea. I just threw it together with the red dot because I already had it. I took it to the range today just to try it out. It works pretty well. But I want to put something with some magnification on it. I will be looking at pistol scopes. I would like something variable. Any suggestions? Obviously I am not going to put a $300 scope on a $99 rifle.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Check opticsplanet.com. maybe a bsa red dot or something.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Been there....done it. Good for faster target acquisition.

Last edited by gandog56; 07-18-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #6

It is quick to get on target. But I want to take advantage of the power of this round. I can shoot nice groups at 100 yards. I want something magnified to get out to say 300 or 400 yards. Just want to see what it will do. I was able to hit a gong at 500 yards with iron sights on this rifle. I dont expect it to be a tack driver. But I still want to see anyway.

drboompa Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i am not bashing in any way so please everyone dont take this as hostile in any way... please. i dont get why people customize historical surplus rifles in any way. is it just taste? although your rifles are not too intense, i have seen some radical j-rigged mosins out there. but why would one do this to a part of history? i dont understand... this was not hostile in any way. i just dont get it... i apologize if anyone took it the wrong way. it was intended nicely. used to have 3 of them and i would never think of such a thing to do to them. there was alot of them made but they are not being made anymore. am i respecting history too much? when i watch the military channel and see soviets assembling mosins on the assembly lines in black and white i would hate to change the things there hands have done. i am completely against communism but its still history and mosins will run out one day and will most likely cost thousands to own one that has not been radically modified in some way.

Last edited by marlin-owner; 07-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.
lotsoffreetime Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner
i am not bashing in any way so please everyone dont take this as hostile in any way... please. i dont get why people customize historical surplus rifles in any way. is it just taste? although your rifles are not too intense, i have seen some radical j-rigged mosins out there. but why would one do this to a part of history? i dont understand... this was not hostile in any way. i just dont get it... i apologize if anyone took it the wrong way. it was intended nicely. used to have 3 of them and i would never think of such a thing to do to them. there was alot of them made but they are not being made anymore. am i respecting history too much? when i watch the military channel and see soviets assembling mosins on the assembly lines in black and white i would hate to change the things there hands have done. i am completely against communism but its still history and mosins will run out one day and will most likely cost thousands to own one that has not been radically modified in some way.
I never have done or will do an irreversible mod to a piece of history, although I will do mods that can be reverted back. I think that people do it to make it theirs instead of like all the other millions of them.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
I never have done or will do an irreversible mod to a piece of history, although I will do mods that can be reverted back. I think that people do it to make it theirs instead of like all the other millions of them.
I agree and have no issues with you performing this mod. I myself have close to a dozen Mosin rifles in my collection. You may find this rather ridiculous but the scope I chose to mount on my 91/30 was a Leupold 2X20 long eye relief scope I originally had mounted on my S&W 500 . I removed the rear sight as you did and used high mount rimfire rings. Very nice and solid.

For the purists out there let me say this: The world may never see the supply of mosins dry up because there were so many of them made. The only way we might see this happen is if the ATI treaty with the UN gets ratified with the US. Personnaly I don't see a problem modifying these rifles in the way Garadex and I have and as he mentioned, it can always be reversed back to original..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
I am the Fanman
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 403 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin-owner
I would say its because they're cheap and plentiful. if they become rare then you'll see people not sporterizing them but most people I know have multiples and only one or two of the worse ones were messed with

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James