You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Mosinitis Anonomys


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,176
Liked 190 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Do matching serial numbers increase value? Mine has the same number on the receiver as it does on the bolt.
longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,148
Liked 2025 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44 View Post
If they were "etched" then they were force matched after refurbishment, but since they are stamped then their the original parts.

It is not quite that simple. It appears that most rifles were refurbished with stamped rather than etched numbers. These rifles were refurbished over decades and in an unknown number of locations. Different standards and techniques were used at different times.

Most of the stamped refubs show signs on the bolt, magazine plate and butt-plate, where the old numbers were ground off and restamped. To be an original match, the numbers have to match, but so do the Cryllic characters and the fonts of the characters.

An etched match is just as authentic as a stamped force matched, but most folks would prefer the stamped matched.

Buy Finn made or altered Mosin-Nagant rifles and matching is not an issue at all.......

If you don't care to study the details, and there is nothing wrong with that, just don't spend a lot of money on the rifle, or you mighjt get burned. Or you can forget all of the details and just buy the rifle you like, keep it original, shoot the snot out of it, take proper care of it, and it will increase in value.
__________________
"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 01-31-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,099
Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

It is not quite that simple. It appears that most rifles were refurbished with stamped rather than etched numbers. These rifles were refurbished over decades and in an unknown number of locations. Different standards and techniques were used at different times.

Most of the stamped refubs show signs on the bolt, magazine plate and butt-plate, where the old numbers were ground off and restamped. To be an original match, the numbers have to match, but so do the Cryllic characters and the fonts of the characters.

An etched match is just as authentic as a stamped force matched, but most folks would prefer the stamped matched.

Buy Finn made or altered Mosin-Nagant rifles and matching is not an issue at all.......

If you don't care to study the details, and there is nothing wrong with that, just don't spend a lot of money on the rifle, or you mighjt get burned. Or you can forget all of the details and just buy the rifle you like, keep it original, shoot the snot out of it, take proper care of it, and it will increase in value.
Well dang! I just leaned something, I didn't know that stamped one without a refurb mark in the stock cause still have been refurbished.
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,059
Liked 247 Times on 184 Posts

Default

Someone had to rain on my parade lol
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,099
Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Well I guess I need to add a Mauser to my list! At the loss of my M1917 sporter
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,099
Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Picking it up tomorrow here's a picture that the seller sent me

image-944430514.jpg
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,099
Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Unfortunately it's a Mitchell's Mauser... Anything I need to know about the M48? I know about Mitchell's and the lies they advertise but this one doesn't look like its been sanded down and redone
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 4,234
Liked 1221 Times on 778 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44 View Post
Unfortunately it's a Mitchell's Mauser... Anything I need to know about the M48? I know about Mitchell's and the lies they advertise but this one doesn't look like its been sanded down and redone
If you just want a shooter it will be fine, Just realize it will never be a collectible..

Edit:
Sorry, just seen you said its a M48, I think those are ok.. Its the K98's that are mix-masters. (Ive heard stories of people who ordered a K98, but it had the later M48 receiver)
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.

Last edited by Trez; 02-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,099
Liked 221 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

If you just want a shooter it will be fine, Just realize it will never be a collectible..

Edit:
Sorry, just seen you said its a M48, I think those are ok.. Its the K98's that are mix-masters. (Ive heard stories of people who ordered a K98, but it had the later M48 receiver)
So the M48's aren't mix matched rifles? So they still are the original rifles? It comes with all the accessories and 20 rounds of ammo.
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 4,234
Liked 1221 Times on 778 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44 View Post
So the M48's aren't mix matched rifles? So they still are the original rifles? It comes with all the accessories and 20 rounds of ammo.
I dont think they are.. But I could be wrong.. ?
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes