Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I installed a Huber trigger and adjusted out the slack and shimmed slightly under the original sear spring and now have a sweet trigger pull. And the method I use for safely carrying my Mosin is to only load four rounds in the magazine, hold them down when moving the bolt forward to close the bolt on an empty chamber. When ready to shoot, open the bolt, chamber a round and shoot.

And I have read that the Mosin is more accurate like on a firing range with the bayonet attached as the bayonet nulls out some of the barrel
harmonics when firing but I neither fire on ranges not with the bayonet attached, nor have I modified my rifle in any manner than the trigger and sear shimming. It isn't pretty but I love this rifle !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I installed the spring and washer on one 91/30 and a Timmy trigger on one of my other Mosin's. The poor accuracy was not a trigger problem. LOL.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Although The washer or shim fix is widely used, it is a dangerous adaptation unless properly tested for bump fire. Aside from banging the butt on the floor you need to chamber a spent casing and pry up the rear end of the bolt firmly to move it as far as you can to see if the sear will disengage. There is considerable slop in the back part of the bolt in some Mosins. I have seen some fire without the modiication.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have a 1930 hex receiver model. There is no Mosin Nagant listed that is like mine. It has a dragoon receiver, bolt and M30/91 sights. The trigger is fair and it cycles as well as a modern rifle. It shoots very well with winchester 180gr. It's adequate with 203gr SP ammo.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #15

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What is a Nagant dragoon receiver and bolt?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #16

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Very pleased! Picked up a box of Winchester 180 gr SP and a box of Lellier & Bellot 180 gr SP today and put her on the bench. I have never shot it with "good" amo before. She likes the Winchester just a bit better, 3 shot group 1.5 inches. L&B 3 shot group 1.75 inches. Both brands had 2 holes touching. Sighted in with Brown Bear so was shooting about 3.5 inches high (best group with Brown Bear was just under 8 inches). Dropped it 6 clicks, took 3 more of each, put 3 in the center ring and 3 just outside. Total group size out of 6 mixed shots was an honest 1 7/8 and that was the L&B rounds. The Winchester kept 1.5 so this was no accident or stroke of luck. Turns out the trigger was money well spent. White tail beware!

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer