Mosin trigger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Mosin trigger

Just finished installing a new trigger on the Mosin. Already have a scope on it but really hated the trigger creep and the safety, more so after the scope was mounted. The new trigger cost more then I paid for the gun but after 3 shots I am impressed. It's like shooting a completely different firearm and has a trigger block safety, simple on off. No trigger creep, crisp clean release, very nice. Now need to get some "good" amo and see what it can do.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1351 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 3412

What year was your Mosin made?

I have two and have had no problems with trigger creep or safety issues.

Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Just finished installing a new trigger on the Mosin. Already have a scope on it but really hated the trigger creep and the safety, more so after the scope was mounted. The new trigger cost more then I paid for the gun but after 3 shots I am impressed. It's like shooting a completely different firearm and has a trigger block safety, simple on off. No trigger creep, crisp clean release, very nice. Now need to get some "good" amo and see what it can do.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
What year was your Mosin made?

I have two and have had no problems with trigger creep or safety issues.

Just curious.
I have more than a handful of Mosins. The trigger quality range from lousy to outstanding. Pre-WWII 91/30s generally have better triggers, but not always. The Finn made guns have triggers comparable to a good modern hunting rifle. The Chinese and Polish triggers are generally very good. Most of my, and most other's, Mosin-Nagants have been refurbished at least once, so you can't estimate the quality of the trigger by the date of mfg. Your 1943Izhevsk 91/30 may have a trigger from a 1898 M-91. You just have to try it.

I enjoy shooting the guns as the original owners would have shot them, so I have yet to replace or modify a trigger.

As far as the safety; I have never seen a good Mosin safety, they work perfectly, but they were not well designed for actual use.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mine were made in 1944 and 1942 (in the order of purchase) and I have never used the safeties. I always load them and then shoot. Thanks for the tips though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I have more than a handful of Mosins. The trigger quality range from lousy to outstanding. Pre-WWII 91/30s generally have better triggers, but not always. The Finn made guns have triggers comparable to a good modern hunting rifle. The Chinese and Polish triggers are generally very good. Most of my, and most other's, Mosin-Nagants have been refurbished at least once, so you can't estimate the quality of the trigger by the date of mfg. Your 1943Izhevsk 91/30 may have a trigger from a 1898 M-91. You just have to try it.

I enjoy shooting the guns as the original owners would have shot them, so I have yet to replace or modify a trigger.

As far as the safety; I have never seen a good Mosin safety, they work perfectly, but they were not well designed for actual use.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

Mine is a 1944 and had a crappy trigger. I use the gun for deer hunting so not using a safety is not an option. The original safety is functional as far as providing a "safe" condition, but not at all easy to use under the best of conditions. Add a scope and a pair of gloves to the equation and it's almost impossible. I will still use it while walking from the house to my stand but after that I'll use the new safety by itself.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As I am not a hunter I cannot sympathize with this, but it is good info to know should I need to go hunting. the most dangerous things that I have shot at are paper targets and cardboard silhouettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Mine is a 1944 and had a crappy trigger. I use the gun for deer hunting so not using a safety is not an option. The original safety is functional as far as providing a "safe" condition, but not at all easy to use under the best of conditions. Add a scope and a pair of gloves to the equation and it's almost impossible. I will still use it while walking from the house to my stand but after that I'll use the new safety by itself.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Did you install a Huber Concepts trigger? I put one in my 1917 Eddystone and it was amazing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #8

I installed a Timney. It's 1.5 to 4 lb adjustable with a safety. Very well put together but did take some work to install. I just looked at the Huber... the Timney is a unit, not just the trigger itself and includes a safety but as I can see by looking at the Huber was much more difficult to install, lots of wood to remove, not a drop in part by any means but about the same price.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Last edited by thdrduck; 09-15-2012 at 12:48 AM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Huber was pretty easy, but getting it to break correctly took a bit of work. However, when it was done it was amazing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I also put a timney on one of my Mosins, I can no longer blame the group size on the terrible trigger it had. I also put on a non gunsmith scope and mount. athe groups are still about 5 moa. I'm hoping the ammo is the culprit now or I spent money unnecessarily to accurize this old war stick. Judging by what I've read on this and several other forums, you cant really expect much better with the old Russian light ball ammo. It does however seem to tighten up as the barrel gets hotter. Still fun to shoot and I really don't notice the heavy recoil everyone talks about. Be sure to let us know how yours shoots with modern ammo.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.