Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Mosin trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-trigger-72365/)

thdrduck 09-13-2012 10:09 PM

Mosin trigger

Just finished installing a new trigger on the Mosin. Already have a scope on it but really hated the trigger creep and the safety, more so after the scope was mounted. The new trigger cost more then I paid for the gun but after 3 shots I am impressed. It's like shooting a completely different firearm and has a trigger block safety, simple on off. No trigger creep, crisp clean release, very nice. Now need to get some "good" amo and see what it can do.

TDS92A 09-13-2012 10:14 PM

What year was your Mosin made?

I have two and have had no problems with trigger creep or safety issues.

Just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 939519)
Just finished installing a new trigger on the Mosin. Already have a scope on it but really hated the trigger creep and the safety, more so after the scope was mounted. The new trigger cost more then I paid for the gun but after 3 shots I am impressed. It's like shooting a completely different firearm and has a trigger block safety, simple on off. No trigger creep, crisp clean release, very nice. Now need to get some "good" amo and see what it can do.

Chainfire 09-13-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDS92A (Post 939527)
What year was your Mosin made?

I have two and have had no problems with trigger creep or safety issues.

Just curious.

I have more than a handful of Mosins. The trigger quality range from lousy to outstanding. Pre-WWII 91/30s generally have better triggers, but not always. The Finn made guns have triggers comparable to a good modern hunting rifle. The Chinese and Polish triggers are generally very good. Most of my, and most other's, Mosin-Nagants have been refurbished at least once, so you can't estimate the quality of the trigger by the date of mfg. Your 1943Izhevsk 91/30 may have a trigger from a 1898 M-91. You just have to try it.

I enjoy shooting the guns as the original owners would have shot them, so I have yet to replace or modify a trigger.

As far as the safety; I have never seen a good Mosin safety, they work perfectly, but they were not well designed for actual use.

TDS92A 09-14-2012 12:35 AM

Mine were made in 1944 and 1942 (in the order of purchase) and I have never used the safeties. I always load them and then shoot. Thanks for the tips though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 939665)
I have more than a handful of Mosins. The trigger quality range from lousy to outstanding. Pre-WWII 91/30s generally have better triggers, but not always. The Finn made guns have triggers comparable to a good modern hunting rifle. The Chinese and Polish triggers are generally very good. Most of my, and most other's, Mosin-Nagants have been refurbished at least once, so you can't estimate the quality of the trigger by the date of mfg. Your 1943Izhevsk 91/30 may have a trigger from a 1898 M-91. You just have to try it.

I enjoy shooting the guns as the original owners would have shot them, so I have yet to replace or modify a trigger.

As far as the safety; I have never seen a good Mosin safety, they work perfectly, but they were not well designed for actual use.

thdrduck 09-14-2012 02:19 PM

Mine is a 1944 and had a crappy trigger. I use the gun for deer hunting so not using a safety is not an option. The original safety is functional as far as providing a "safe" condition, but not at all easy to use under the best of conditions. Add a scope and a pair of gloves to the equation and it's almost impossible. I will still use it while walking from the house to my stand but after that I'll use the new safety by itself.

TDS92A 09-14-2012 03:31 PM

As I am not a hunter I cannot sympathize with this, but it is good info to know should I need to go hunting. the most dangerous things that I have shot at are paper targets and cardboard silhouettes.:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 940256)
Mine is a 1944 and had a crappy trigger. I use the gun for deer hunting so not using a safety is not an option. The original safety is functional as far as providing a "safe" condition, but not at all easy to use under the best of conditions. Add a scope and a pair of gloves to the equation and it's almost impossible. I will still use it while walking from the house to my stand but after that I'll use the new safety by itself.

CA357 09-14-2012 05:11 PM

Did you install a Huber Concepts trigger? I put one in my 1917 Eddystone and it was amazing.

thdrduck 09-15-2012 01:40 AM

I installed a Timney. It's 1.5 to 4 lb adjustable with a safety. Very well put together but did take some work to install. I just looked at the Huber... the Timney is a unit, not just the trigger itself and includes a safety but as I can see by looking at the Huber was much more difficult to install, lots of wood to remove, not a drop in part by any means but about the same price.

CA357 09-15-2012 03:32 AM

The Huber was pretty easy, but getting it to break correctly took a bit of work. However, when it was done it was amazing.

dteed4094 09-19-2012 10:47 PM

I also put a timney on one of my Mosins, I can no longer blame the group size on the terrible trigger it had. I also put on a non gunsmith scope and mount. athe groups are still about 5 moa. I'm hoping the ammo is the culprit now or I spent money unnecessarily to accurize this old war stick. Judging by what I've read on this and several other forums, you cant really expect much better with the old Russian light ball ammo. It does however seem to tighten up as the barrel gets hotter. Still fun to shoot and I really don't notice the heavy recoil everyone talks about. Be sure to let us know how yours shoots with modern ammo.