Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Sniper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm glad to see it shoots as sweet as you anticipated. Well done!

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #22

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

nice stick JonM...

if its grouping like that w/surplus ammo...it dont need hand rolled fire lead

Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5467 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
nice stick JonM...

if its grouping like that w/surplus ammo...it dont need hand rolled fire lead
it shoots damn good. i just wish i was a better shot lol. i think im gonna try it out on some yotes and maybe a deer in november. i REALLY like the mosins

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #24

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

I dont mean to steal your thread jon, but I thought it a good opportunity to show mine off.....
Its a 1942 Izhevsk. Although I mounted the scope myself, I think this one was meant to be a sniper. It has the "C" marks like yours but there on the side of the receiver, also it has a "H" above the Russian crest. Ive read both these marks are used on Mosins selected for sniper use. As well as other people finding Mosins with the sniper acceptance marks that were never made into such. I dont know if it means the same, but there are "C's" stamped into the trigger guard and stock. There are a couple more things that makes me believe its a sniper model. Unlike the rest of the Mosins in the store and the previous 2 I have owned (bought from the same chain of stores.) it didnt have a matching number bayonet. But what really convinces me is the trigger, it is very smooth and unlike any Mosin trigger I have ever shot. It doesnt even feel like a mil-surp trigger...
The scope and mount is a 1942 as well with Izhevsk markings, and came with the scope covers, cleaning cloth, and paperwork releasing it from the arsenal. It looked to be unissued and was never mated to a rifle.
It actually took me some time to find a rifle that was "worthy" to mount the scope to. (like 4-5 yrs!)

Its hard to confirm or deny if my rifle was really meant to be a sniper, as it seems Russia had no problems using them for something else if needed, sending them to allies, etc., and didnt keep great records or they were lost.

107_5280.jpg   107_5302.jpg   107_5291.jpg   107_5289.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #25

The paperwork for my scope.... shows it was released from the armory in 1950

107_5282.jpg   107_5283.jpg   107_5284.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thats awsome!!

Nothing like a piece of history!!

Do you remember if yours had filled in mounting holes or not?? A lot of ex-snipers that were recycled back into regular service are out there as well as a lot of accepted snipers that never had scopes mounted.

How clear are your lenses?? Most of the 40's era pu scopes are really fogged up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Thats awsome!!

Nothing like a piece of history!!

Do you remember if yours had filled in mounting holes or not?? A lot of ex-snipers that were recycled back into regular service are out there as well as a lot of accepted snipers that never had scopes mounted.

How clear are your lenses?? Most of the 40's era pu scopes are really fogged up.
It was never drilled for a scope... I thought it was a regular 91/30. I didnt even know about the sniper acceptance stamps until you pointed out the "C" marks on yours (Thanks!) and did a little research, found out the "C & H" marks were used on snipers and that the triggers are noticeably nicer than on standard Mosins. It had the standard straight bolt, but I found a guy on ebay who does very nice conversions and cannot tell it was changed. He can make yours a exact copy of the original or customize any way you like. He even makes custom pull ring safetys for the Mosin and other mil-surps..

The lenses are nice, crisp, and clear.... I think it was a unissued scope, but who knows it coulda been rebuilt.
I wish I could read Russian, it would be interesting to know what the paperwork says...

Last edited by Trez; 05-20-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: left out..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
It was never drilled for a scope... I thought it was a regular 91/30. I didnt even know about the sniper acceptance stamps until you pointed out the "C" marks on yours (Thanks!) and did a little research, found out the "C & H" marks were used on snipers and that the triggers are noticeably nicer than on standard Mosins. It had the standard straight bolt, but I found a guy on ebay who does very nice conversions and cannot tell it was changed. He can make yours a exact copy of the original or customize any way you like. He even makes custom pull ring safetys for the Mosin and other mil-surps..

The lenses are nice, crisp, and clear.... I think it was a unissued scope, but who knows it coulda been rebuilt.
I wish I could read Russian, it would be interesting to know what the paperwork says...
It was prolly never issued the rebuilds are like mine with a post war date stamp. I real,y like that little pu scope. I had a similar weaver version on my 458 winmag for over 20 years. The fence post reticle i find much easier to be precise than standard xhairs.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #29

I bought the same crate of sliver tips as you but havent shot any. Ive only shot it a couple of times and dont know if I was shooting light or heavy ball.. Is there a way to tell the difference? Like yours mine also had the roughest stock in the store...
Man! Taking a pic though a scope was trickier than I thought!
Theres some glare, but oh well....

107_5308.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #30

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Light ball is marked LPS on the can. The really good Yugo stuff is boxes only, I've never seen a can. It is marked M30(J), nny 86xx. It is 1985 or 1986 production and was boxed in 1986 (1st two numbers in 86xx). If you can find it, it is not cheap. But, shoots like nothing else.
7.62 x54r (7.62x54R) 182gr FMJBT PPU Box (15 rds)
Prvi Partisan ammo.

Cans of heavy ball are usually marked DPS.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.