Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
What he said. The Russian mix for cosmolime includes some bees wax that most solvents won't get out.
The melting point of the lacquer on the cases is really high and it would take a lot of rounds to generate enough heat to melt it to the point of sticking in your chamber. But the bees wax will melt after a few rounds and cool off and harden pretty fast too.

Also make sure when you lean the gun after use, ghat you use a solvent that will neutralize corrosive salts that can be left behind after using Russian ammo.
The best and the most successful way to clean the chamber on a Mosin is; take a 20 guage brass bore brush on a cleaning rod and an electric drill. Use any bore cleaner and brush the hell out of it then clean as usual. This will not hurt the rifle. Your Grand Pa is right it is the laquer, and the casing does get hot enough to melt the laquer so it sticks to the less hot chamber. I had sticky bolt syndrom when I bought my first Mosin but it will shoot any ammo now. I use the cheap laquered ammo most of the time so I need to do this again but it has been about 300 rounds since I've done it. You can try all the other remedies but you will eventually end up doing this.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

ricepaddydaddy Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
+1
Using brass and lacquered is like night and day in mine... Im just getting into reloading.. I pulled some surplus x54r to make Arisaka ammo and it was so inconsistant.. Bullet and charge weights varied as much as 1 grain..
You wouldn't had to pull the 7.62x54R to make brass for the 7.7 Arisaka, simply use 30-06 brass, pass in die one time, trim and you are in business. load with .312 pills

Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1776

BTW, IME these "chamber cleanings" usually take a couple of

range trips to melt out all the Cosmoline. It helps to bring rags

to the range.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Another vote for polishing the chamber with a variable speed drill and a worn out brass shotgun brush. I lubricate the brush with kerosene or mineral spirits.
I also do this with my single shot shotguns and they now eject the empty almost over my shoulder.