Mosin problem.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a problem with my Mosin. When I first bought it I had shot 12 rounds with no problem. The next time I shot it I loaded one round and it shot just fine but when I tried to eject the shell the bolt was locked up. With some help from a hammer I unjammed it. So I took it home and cleaned it thinking maybe I didn't clean it well enough after the last time I shot it, even though I clean all my guns thoroughly after shooting. The next day I take it out again. I try to load a round and as it's almost all the way in the chamber it stops. It's like it had swollen shut a tad bit. I've oiled it time and time again but still yet nothing. My uncle told me he had the same issue with one of his rifles. It was a 223. He used the cheap Russian ammo like I did. He told me that the cheap Russian ammunition is coated with water resistant laminate. So when the shell heats up the water proof crap gets sticky and if you don't eject the shell fast enough the stuff will stick to the chamber. He said they're made mainly for semi autos. He just started shooting brass cased rounds after that and it wouldn't jam anymore. I haven't done anything with it yet. I was wondering if any of you have had this issue and if it can be fixed. Any info helps.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And also, the rounds I shot are Russian Wolf with the bimetal case.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Big,
Sounds like the issue is not with the rifle it is with the ammunition. Some European steel case rounds have a varnish type coating. This does heat up and after several rounds can coat the inside of the chamber. It takes vigorous cleaning and some strong solvent to get it out. You can do a normal cleaning and it won't budge. As it builds up the chamber becomes tighter and tighter until finally nothing works. I would do a complete cleaning of the chamber of your rifle and go get you one box of good ammunition from a reputable company. If it works well you have diagnosed your problem.
Bottom line you normally get what you pay for quality wise!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

My Mosin does the same thing with that type of ammo. But brass cases run like butter. It is your ammo. My reloads are awesome. If you search the internet you will find people joking about it. They say they always bring a 2x4 with them to beat the bolt open.

Best thing it to use the good stuff. If you reload it is cheaper than buying surplus anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My friend was having issues with him. I kept telling him to stop being a girl with it and cycle the bolt like a man. He was having issues with it for a good 2 minutes and I took it and cycled it like a man just fine. I will have to let him know about the issues with the ammo though. My other friend has one and his bolt cycles so smoothly but the 1st one I was talking about has a hideous rough cycle. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

"Sticky bolt syndrome" is a common complaint for Mosin owners. Google it and look at the results. Most likely cause of your problem is a dirty chamber.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ricepaddydaddy Likes This 
Old 07-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My Mosin does the same thing with that type of ammo. But brass cases run like butter. It is your ammo. My reloads are awesome. If you search the internet you will find people joking about it. They say they always bring a 2x4 with them to beat the bolt open.

Best thing it to use the good stuff. If you reload it is cheaper than buying surplus anyway.
+1
Using brass and lacquered is like night and day in mine... Im just getting into reloading.. I pulled some surplus x54r to make Arisaka ammo and it was so inconsistant.. Bullet and charge weights varied as much as 1 grain..

Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The best thing you can do is either use surplus ammo, or brass ammo. The surplus ammo is as cheap as it gets, and it is copper washed instead of lacquer coated. I haven't had a problem out of mine.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

It's the cosmoline, I had the same problem with my 91/30, until I took some JB bore bright to the chamber, works like a charm now, follow the link to this video, guy shows you exactly how to remedy the problem,

It's a bolt action rifle it shouldn't be picky about what ammo it feeds, I can shoot what ever ammo I like out of mine now, surplus Czech silver tip(lacquer coated steel) , surplus Russian (copper washed steel), Silver Bear Soft Points(nickle plated bi-metal), Brown Bear FMJ(lacquer coated bi-metal), Tulammo FMJ(polymer coated bi-metal), Winchester White Box Soft Point(Brass), I get the best accuracy of of the Brown Bear FMJ, Enjoy your mosin!

Last edited by 1fstA4; 07-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 2184 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fstA4 View Post
It's the cosmoline, I had the same problem with my 91/30, until I took some JB bore bright to the chamber, works like a charm now, follow the link to this video, guy shows you exactly how to remedy the problem,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M

It's a bolt action rifle it shouldn't be picky about what ammo it feeds, I can shoot what ever ammo I like out of mine now, surplus Czech silver tip(lacquer coated steel) , surplus Russian (copper washed steel), Silver Bear Soft Points(nickle plated bi-metal), Brown Bear FMJ(lacquer coated bi-metal), Tulammo FMJ(polymer coated bi-metal), Winchester White Box Soft Point(Brass), I get the best accuracy of of the Brown Bear FMJ, Enjoy your mosin!

What he said. The Russian mix for cosmolime includes some bees wax that most solvents won't get out.
The melting point of the lacquer on the cases is really high and it would take a lot of rounds to generate enough heat to melt it to the point of sticking in your chamber. But the bees wax will melt after a few rounds and cool off and harden pretty fast too.

Also make sure when you lean the gun after use, ghat you use a solvent that will neutralize corrosive salts that can be left behind after using Russian ammo.