Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > mosin nagant vs 12 guage shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

How should the muzzle crown look? Yesterday I cleaned it using the rod it came with and acidentaly pushed the a all the way through the muzzle and the muzzle end was hanging off the edge of the table and the rod came out and hit the floor im scared that I ruined my crown! How should it look? Ill post a pic in a bit

Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #62

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
How should the muzzle crown look? Yesterday I cleaned it using the rod it came with and acidentaly pushed the a all the way through the muzzle and the muzzle end was hanging off the edge of the table and the rod came out and hit the floor im scared that I ruined my crown! How should it look? Ill post a pic in a bit
It is a Mosin. Pretty hard to hurt one. Should be fine unless you dinged it up, I doubt you did.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #63

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Im just worried becuase the rod kinda bent downward on the way out so it was kinda like a lever against the crown I cant tell if I bent the end of the muzzle so heres some pics

forumrunner_20131202_153058.jpg   forumrunner_20131202_153116.jpg   forumrunner_20131202_153128.jpg   forumrunner_20131202_153144.jpg  

Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1346 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 456

With the light shining on the crown it's hard to see anything but reflection. From what I can see it should be OK. Use a modern aluminum cleaning rod in the future. Steel is harder than aluminum.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #65

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I doubt you did anything some Russian conscripts did not do. It looks OK to me. (Not a gunsmith).

Have you shot it yet?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1323 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Looks fine on pics. Don't use that rod, you're not a reenactor. You expect more from the rifle you paid for than a Russian conscript. You didn't hurt the crown the way you described. But the Mosin isn't all that foolproof. The wood and the old hardware in particular are easy to bugger up.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #67

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Did not know this. Bought a front sight from them years ago with no problem. Sorry if that is a bad link/site.
Thread resurrection!

Fred, no sir, I've not given up on Smith-Sights. There are two sides to every story, but I cannot in good conscience give my side as the buyer/seller relationship is sacred to me.

I will say that around that time, my wife was in a car wreck and my daughter was delivered prematurely due to that. I was doing a lot of work from the hospital room using an Android pad.

I have a backorder time on the sights because I'm filling commercial orders now. (Like I said, I've not given up!) I'm also not able to be on forums as much because I am so busy shrinking backorder time -- and succeeding for the most part.

I'm sorry to have resurrected this thread, but man, I never said nor implied that I was ever giving up on Smith-Sights. I've been implementing new, faster manufacturing techniques which do not cut down on quality, and I've been expanding the line of what I sell (two-stage triggers, for example, on a limited basis) but never have I given up.

Regards,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #68

Liked 2392 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Right now im seriously thinking about buying a mosin nagant tommorow at my big 5 theyre going cheap i currently dont own any rifles besides a 22. I want a rifle that can effectivley take down big game at about 200 yards. I own a 12 guage shotgun and was wondering if the accuracy of a mosin is about the same as a 12 guage with slugs? What is the effective range of a mosin with iron sights? Should i save my money and buy a better gun instead of wasting money on a mosin? will a slug gun do? I know mosins are cheap bit if i already have a gun that can shoot almost the same as the mosin than id rather save up my money and get a rifle thats is a semi auto
First off, I'll agree with those who were quick to point

out that neither the Mosin, nor the shotgun, are a 200

yard gun; for the average user. IMHO, the M/N is a little

heavy to haul around for hunting but I do carry an M44

for rooting brush for wild boar at very close range.

Just being an average guy, at 200 yards I need a

scoped bolt action.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-01-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #69

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

[quote=Mercator;1446153]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I dig it about the windage. My concern was "adding material" to the front post.
Very easy 30 second fix. Get some shrinkable wire insulator, find the size that closest to fitting the post. cut a piece off that is too high, slide it on the post, hit it with your Bic lighter for a couple seconds, trim until you are hitting where you want, voila. I added about 5/64th to get mine right.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.