Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > mosin nagant vs 12 guage shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Right now im seriously thinking about buying a mosin nagant tommorow at my big 5 theyre going cheap i currently dont own any rifles besides a 22. I want a rifle that can effectivley take down big game at about 200 yards. I own a 12 guage shotgun and was wondering if the accuracy of a mosin is about the same as a 12 guage with slugs? What is the effective range of a mosin with iron sights? Should i save my money and buy a better gun instead of wasting money on a mosin? will a slug gun do? I know mosins are cheap bit if i already have a gun that can shoot almost the same as the mosin than id rather save up my money and get a rifle thats is a semi auto

Last edited by hq357; 11-29-2013 at 07:03 AM.
therewolf Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unless your shot gun is capable for a 3-4" group at 200 yards, I'd stick with getting a Mosin. I haven't owned one myself, but I have put a fair amount of rounds through a friends and I can tell you this, if I wasn't going on a vacation pretty soon, I'd be getting myself one for sure.

As far as iron sights go, that'll depend on the shooter. I've seen guys hit out to 1000 yards with some rifles, not just a Mosin, while other can't hit a barn at 300 yards.

I'm not sure if you do, but if you reload, you could get even better accuracy out of a Mosin then with either mil-surp or factory soft point ammunition.......long story short, for ranged shooting, the Mosin-Nagant wins hands down.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 753

The only problem with any quality Mosin, you will have to trust the iron sights and yourself. Mounting a scope is a DIY project that is not guaranteed to end well. Also costs extra. Sniper Mosin rifles are way more $$$. A long barrel slug gun is just more practical, but for 200 I'd trust a 30-06 better.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1797 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Answering your specific question, a Mosin with a decent barrel, crown especially, is going to be a better choice out to 200 yards than a slug gun assuming we are talking about open sights vs open sights, or scoped vs scoped. Why? Because 200 yards is pushing the envelope for a sabot slug vs. the ballistics of a 30 caliber (7.62x 54r) round fired from a M-N. The Mosin round itself is formidable to say the least But here's the question: do you know how to properly inspect a cosmoline-caked 75 year old rifle? Would you be able to tell the difference between a damaged crown and one that is in tact? If you look down the barrel with a bore light, do you know what you are looking for? Most likely your first MN is a 'luck if the draw' situation if you are not sure what you are looking for. Actually it is a bit if a luck situation even if you DO know what you are looking for Key point about the Mosin Nagant: the price is right. If you are willing to put time and energy into cleaning it up and sighting it in.....what do you have to lose? You already own the shotgun.........

image-2396058180.jpg

image-354073036.jpg

Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Liked 352 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know Mosins are all the rage just now, and for good reason. A big, stable, accurate platform that's reasonably priced and so's the ammo. That said, carrying a Mosin into the field on a hunting trip? I love my M1 Garand, can hit any target I can see, but it's the last rifle I'd take hunting for the same reason, too big & heavy. 357, if your heart's set on a Mosin, by all means, get it. MHO, there are better choices for hunting.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I know Mosins are all the rage just now, and for good reason. A big, stable, accurate platform that's reasonably priced and so's the ammo. That said, carrying a Mosin into the field on a hunting trip? I love my M1 Garand, can hit any target I can see, but it's the last rifle I'd take hunting for the same reason, too big & heavy. 357, if your heart's set on a Mosin, by all means, get it. MHO, there are better choices for hunting.
there are WAY better choices for hunting.....but his question was straight forward enough. if you can't handle carrying the Mosin for a bit in the field.....how are you going to get that dead deer out?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Should i save my money and buy a better gun instead of wasting money on a mosin?
Yes, save a little more money and buy an inexpensive American hunting rifle.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1164 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
there are WAY better choices for hunting.....but his question was straight forward enough. if you can't handle carrying the Mosin for a bit in the field.....how are you going to get that dead deer out?
If too far in the woods, wrap the M-N around a tree limb and leave it.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Milsurp bolt action rifles are a hoot to shoot, and with only iron sights can be very effective especially at the 200 yard range you specified. After all they dropped a lot of men in combat, and deer and men are similar size. Most where never designed for mounting an optic though, unless they were a sniper version. I've never owned a Mosin Nagant but have shot a few of my friends MN's. I have owned Lee Enfields and Springfields and shot them a lot. By all means get the Mosin if you want it, but I would put in a recommendation for something like the Stevens 200 in 7mm-08, ,308, .270 etc. They go for around $300.Very nice rifle for not much money. You can get them with a scope already mounted or put an excellent inexpensive scope like the Sightron S1 on it, $130-$140.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
If too far in the woods, wrap the M-N around a tree limb and leave it.
sounds like you may have read this thread:

Other-Uses-for-Mosin-Nagants