Mosin Nagant thread! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Nagant thread!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,754
Liked 2482 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 1265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Lets make FTF a place where people can get good reliable information. Not a place that reeks of BS.
Amen.

Anyone who actually has shot a Mosin carbine knows how loud it is. Deafening. Much louder than the full size rifle. Practically it is for carry a lot, shoot a little (which was its original purpose - for security personnel) If you look forward to long range sessions, the m91 is more gun for less.
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 67
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
The Mosin Nagants are a lot of fun to shoot. They are an effective deer rifle at close range. But lets be honest with ourselves and our readers. The Remington 770 is more accurate than any milsurp Mosin Nagant, even the sniper rifles. I know for a fact I can shoot a 1" group with any 770 in good condition at 100 yards. The best you can expect out of a milsurp Mosin Nagant is a 6" group at 100 yards. Good enough to kill a deer but not comparable to any modern rifle. I have seen the picture of the hits in the 3" target supposedly shot at 100 yards. I know for a fact no one can see a 3" target at 100 yards. I have tried to shoot small targets with very accurate rifles at 100 yards when I was younger. I couldn't see the target well enough to hit it every time with iron sights. At the time I had 20/10 vision that had been verified by an optometrist. A hunting guide who was a fine shot in his own right told me I had a bionic eye. Lets make FTF a place where people can get good reliable information. Not a place that reeks of BS.
I'll second what you just said! It seems that people can hit nickel sized peppermints at 70 yards open sights all day long here at FTF?!? I don't know what my problem is, I can't even see a peppermint at 30 yards.

My dad just picked up a mosin nagant at our cabelas this last weekend, he got it for $129. It's in pretty good shape with a lighter finish on it which he was looking for so that it would be easier to refinish.
__________________

Last edited by FishinLuke; 12-03-2013 at 02:33 AM.
FishinLuke is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Is the permanently attached bayonet on the M44 practical for you? Not for me, I'm looking for the M38. I don't plan on bayonet-ting anything lol
Which takes you right back to Ruger or Savage, at the cost

of a M38, right now. Which, given accuracy and weight, is

probably a better idea, for a sensible shooter.

Is the M44 bayonet practical? It sure is, if you are going into the

brush after wild boar. The beat-down on a boar could have you

shooting, stabbing, and clubbing in self defense, and the M44 is

unequaled for the job.


The M44 is also still relatively affordable,

compared to the M38.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
The best you can expect out of a milsurp Mosin Nagant is a 6" group at 100 yards.
I have both experience and proof to the contrary. Is it an eyesight issue only? There are clearly other issues involved. I wear corrective lenses for short sightedness. One of my 91/30s will group around 4" at 100 yards. I aim for center mass so to speak at a paper target, as you stated and agreed I can't see a 3 inch circle at that distance. Point is the rifle is capable of better than 6 inch groups. I have another one that does not shoot quite as well, has a heavier trigger pull. I don't consider myself any kind of superior shot. The best 100 yard group I have ever shot is 3/8" with .270, something I have not been able to replicate
__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,190
Liked 2033 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I have both experience and proof to the contrary. Is it an eyesight issue only? There are clearly other issues involved. I wear corrective lenses for short sightedness. One of my 91/30s will group around 4" at 100 yards. I aim for center mass so to speak at a paper target, as you stated and agreed I can't see a 3 inch circle at that distance. Point is the rifle is capable of better than 6 inch groups. I have another one that does not shoot quite as well, has a heavier trigger pull. I don't consider myself any kind of superior shot. The best 100 yard group I have ever shot is 3/8" with .270, something I have not been able to replicate
I agree that some Mosins are capable of better than a 6" group. I am a fair shot it's all I can do to keep all the shots in the flat part of a paper plate at 100 yards. The round flat part of a paper plate is 6". I think it is realistic to say that is all that anyone can expect from a milsurp mosin nagant. My breathing is shot to hell right now. It's not like I can exhale and squeeze. Moreover, how many people that haven't had military training are there out there that know they need to control their breathing to shoot accurately? Every time I have mentioned learning to control your breathing in a thread everyone has no idea of what I am talking about.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I agree that some Mosins are capable of better than a 6" group. I am a fair shot it's all I can do to keep all the shots in the flat part of a paper plate at 100 yards.
IME, the cold shot with all my M/Ns is dead-on. The warmer the barrel gets,

the worse the accuracy is. I imagine, at least with my M/Ns, I could probably

shoot MOA, IF I took about an hour to take 5 shots, in order to keep the

barrel cool.

But I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out the other, not the world's

most accurate shooter.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,190
Liked 2033 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
IME, the cold shot with all my M/Ns is dead-on. The warmer the barrel gets,

the worse the accuracy is. I imagine, at least with my M/Ns, I could probably

shoot MOA, IF I took about an hour to take 5 shots, in order to keep the

barrel cool.

But I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out the other, not the world's

most accurate shooter.
Olympic shooters don't shoot 1" groups with iron sights at 100 yards. You are saying that you can best an olympic shooter with a milsurp Mosin Nagant? Come on! I just took off my hip waders. The front sight on a mosin nagant covers over 6" of the target at 100 yards.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Default

I highly dislike Remington 770s. Anyone that'd purchased one hasn't done their research if they plan on having it functioning and accurate long enough to pass on to the next generation. Pressed in barrel ftl. Just my 2 cents. Better off saving another hundred and grab a used 700 or similar.

__________________

Last edited by E7018Dan; 12-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.
E7018Dan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Olympic shooters don't shoot 1" groups with iron sights at 100 yards. You are saying that you can best an olympic shooter with a milsurp Mosin Nagant? Come on! I just took off my hip waders. The front sight on a mosin nagant covers over 6" of the target at 100 yards.
What I am saying is the first shot is dead on. After that, there's fliers

all over the target. I couldn't be as good a shot as an Olympic Shooter in

my wildest dreams. If you need waders, it's because of what you created.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hq357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 700
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default

I fell in love with my mosin last night, the simplicity of the design amazed me! I was cleaning the cosmoline off with break free clp it did a decent job I used some on the wood inside the stock were the barrel lays just to see what it would do if it ruins the wood then oh well ill just buy a polymer stock. Best 180$ I've spent her name is izzy =) for izvezch I'm gonna wrap it up for christmas and pretend I bought it as a gift for my stepdad but he's an ass and probably won't like it so ill just keep it for me

forumrunner_20131203_020508.jpg   forumrunner_20131203_020541.jpg  
__________________
hq357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
boyds mosin nagant stock & firefield mosin nagant pu scope mosin762 General Rifle Discussion 2 10-19-2013 10:05 PM
Mosin Nagant- where to get one? Stevodod General Rifle Discussion 5 03-17-2013 02:45 AM
mosin nagant 1911beast Hunting Forum 2 01-14-2012 08:04 AM
Mosin Nagant 91-30 BelRockRebel General Rifle Discussion 25 01-12-2012 08:36 AM
Mosin nagant carbine or 1950 polish nagant trainer Nun Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-12-2011 04:30 AM