Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

The only problem with the $399.00 rifle (and that is a good price) is they take a run-of-the-mill Mosin, not selected for accuracy and slap a reproduction scope and mount on it. If you have been living right and are very lucky, you might get FAIR shooter. It will look like an authentic sniper to the uninitiated, but it is all lipstick on a pig. Rguns may still have some authentic sniper rifles that will gain in value over time. The repro will never be worth more than it is right now.
Of course it will gain value. All nagants are gaining value. It just will never be worth what the original is worth.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

The only problem with the $399.00 rifle (and that is a good price) is they take a run-of-the-mill Mosin, not selected for accuracy and slap a reproduction scope and mount on it. If you have been living right and are very lucky, you might get FAIR shooter. It will look like an authentic sniper to the uninitiated, but it is all lipstick on a pig. Rguns may still have some authentic sniper rifles that will gain in value over time. The repro will never be worth more than it is right now.
There ya go.... Thanks for slapping me back to reality!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

Personally a good M39 in my opinion is a better toy. Mine is extremely accurate. M39 $250 and money is left for more toys and or accessories.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

PcolaCatFan,

another c&rffl pal has one...the mosin is a re-furbed original sniper with a russky repro scope. other forums say pretty much the same.

further info doesn't seem to support the idea that the russians did any special testing for accuracy, just modified them for sniper duties. groups under 3" @ 100 meters are sufficient for most designated marksman duties.

btw, my pal love his...i'm still justifying one for myself. sog has round receiver-ed models for $379 and hex's for $399

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 06-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #15

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

big 5 here in Turlock Ca has a mosin/nagant for 699 with a scope. Im not going to put down the nagant here on this forum but it will be a cold day in hell before I spend more than a 100 dollars for a mosin nagant. that price is just crazy and I noticed this has been in the store for a while.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

I'm new to C&R, so I have a question about the Classic Firearms "sniper" Mosin: Doesn't it affect the C&R status of the rifle when they mount a scope on it? Call it a sniper rifle or whatever, but it's still just a standard issue Mosin that has been sporterized... thus making it a new gun in the eyes of the BATF. Just wondering...

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameramon View Post
I'm new to C&R, so I have a question about the Classic Firearms "sniper" Mosin: Doesn't it affect the C&R status of the rifle when they mount a scope on it? Call it a sniper rifle or whatever, but it's still just a standard issue Mosin that has been sporterized... thus making it a new gun in the eyes of the BATF. Just wondering...
No it does not as long as it is in the standard issue format of the sniper version i.e.: period scope etc... Mod's that would affect C&R status would be like rebarreling or putting the action in a modern stock and selling it off that way. To remain C&R, it's gotta be sold as it came originally...

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
big 5 here in Turlock Ca has a mosin/nagant for 699 with a scope. Im not going to put down the nagant here on this forum but it will be a cold day in hell before I spend more than a 100 dollars for a mosin nagant. that price is just crazy and I noticed this has been in the store for a while.
That is liekly a real russian refurb. The 399 ones are ex snipers that have had a mount and scope put back on. The difference is that there is a lot of work that goes into fitting a real russian scope base and scope. They are zeroed by shimming or grinding the base for windage and screwed in or out for elevation.

Often in the refurbs the scope reticle will be up and down straight when holding the rifle straight. Thats not how the russians did it. In a real as issued russian sniper there is typical some cant to the reticle which is a by product of the scope not being directly over the bore. The shooter is supposed to cant the gun a bit leveling the reticle so the bdc can be used at any range

In the 399 models typically you see perfectly leveled reticles since they arent mounted by russian armorers but by some guy in america in a backroom using american boresighters.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #19

Likes Given: 6

RGuns has for the most part the only accepted true snipers for sale commercially at the moment. http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml These rifles origin was traced over a course of years to insure their authenticity. At $800 they're worth it and from what I see and have heard once the last one is sold the value of those as well as any true sniper will increase significantly.

As stated before the reproduction snipers that you see at places like Classic Arms are usually an M91/30 that's been made to look like a sniper and beyond that really have none of the charactoristics of a real snipers besides looks. The true PEM and PU snipers are rifles that during manufacture were pulled from the production line due to higher accuracy and put in to sniper duty. A reproduction sniper is only as valuable as the sum of the parts and will never gain much value past what was put into it. That doesn't mean someone won't give you a lot of money for a repro. sniper but it's still just that, a reproduction.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #20

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I have a freind w/ a K98 that was fitted w/ a PE side mount. The Germans did lots of funky things at the end. There are other PU snipers out there that are not WWII, or reproductions. There are 1950's and '60's builds. The lenses are coated, not strait glass. Canting the scope will not achieve a hit at 800 yards, just as a vertical scope. That is the reason they have horizontal adjustment.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

m72law Likes This