Mosin Nagant rifle question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Nagant rifle question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant rifle question

I hope this is the right section for this. As mentioned in other threads here on the forums I have collected guns and other antiques from the 18th and 19th centuries. I am now looking at World War II guns. I wanted to start off small then work my way up to the more expensive guns like the K98k. I was looking for a Mosin Nagant and I came across this one, I don't know much about these guns and I want to check for accuracy and authenticity..so what do you guys think.

description given by dealer:

Russian M91/30 Bolt Action Rifle, Cal. 7.62x54R
Condition: Good, Includes Bayonet & scabbard
Price: $89.99

There was also another site I found but they were selling Mosins for over 600 dollars. Like I said I don't know everything about these guns as I'm still learning about them and thier history but 600+ dollars seems extreme for a Mosin. Most gun collectors I have talked to said that a good quality Mosin would be about 60-100 dollars not 600 dollars.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Apparently there are two types of M91/30: the $100 type, which you own, and thw $400 M91/30 Sniper. I couldn't really tell you the diference between them, other than the sniper has the turn down bolt aand even with the sniper model, you still need to purchase the scope and mount seperate.

As a base, the M91/30, m38 and M44 are relatively the same rifle. The do have some differences.

The M91/30: First manufactured in 1891 and went back into production in 1930. It was used in the Russian/Japan war in 1904-05, WW1 and in the Russian Revolution. It is 48.5 inches long (shorter than the 1891) and weighs like 9 lbs. Barrel is almost 30 inches long.

The M38: Introuduced in 1938, production starting in 1939, it is essentialy a revamped M91/30. Used mainly on the eastern side of WW2. Discontinued in 1945. It is 40 inches long and wieghs in at about 7.5 lbs. Has a 20 inch barrel.

I don't think either of the above rifles were issued with bayonets. The M44 was.

M44: A perfected M38, designed in 1943, adopted in 1944. 40.5 inches long overall, 20.5 inch barrel. It also has a 15 inch right side folding bayonet and weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

There should be a date stamped in the top of the barrel. That should give you an idea of the model as that is the year of manufacture. If there is no date or it has been removed somehow, you should be able to use the info above as a reference.

If it is a M91/30, the price you paid is about right. I hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

That's about the range I see for them in my area. Less than $100 for a real battle rifle can't be beat. 'Course, a Garand is better.... (insert Patton quote here)

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I've got an M-44 and I also got mine for around $90, if your gonna shoot it then you should stay away from Bulgarian ammunition. Mine is stamped "1946" on the top of the reciever. It also has the Russian 'hammer and sickle' symbol on it. It's a fun, and cheap rifle to shoot but please use hearing protection. I had my SKS before I got the M-44 and the sks didn't bother me but the M-44 downright hurts to shoot without hearing protection. It's incredibly loud.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
It's a fun, and cheap rifle to shoot but please use hearing protection. It's incredibly loud.

+1 A few rounds through a Mosin and your head will pound all day without hearing protection. But look at the bright side, If you don't wear protection, you get to annoy people by asking them to repeat themselves all day

Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I've got an M-44 and I also got mine for around $90, if your gonna shoot it then you should stay away from Bulgarian ammunition. Mine is stamped "1946" on the top of the reciever. It also has the Russian 'hammer and sickle' symbol on it. It's a fun, and cheap rifle to shoot but please use hearing protection. I had my SKS before I got the M-44 and the sks didn't bother me but the M-44 downright hurts to shoot without hearing protection. It's incredibly loud.
Don't worry, in a couple of years it won't bother you anymore....
In the interest of saving your hearing you should use protection. The question isn't if you will lose your hearing - it's when. I know, I am deaf in one ear from only a couple years of shooting without protection. It's cumulative, meaning it gets progressively worse, and will NEVER get better. Living with ringing in your ears 24 hours a day is not pleasant! It also sucks being out in the deer woods in the fall and having to rely strictly on eyesight because you can't hear a deer walking 10 feet in front of you!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-28-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #7

Thanks for the help so far. I emailed the dealer to try and find out more info about the rifle before I buy it. They have two Mosins in that price range. The first is the one I just showed you. Other then the specs already mentioned the only other info they were able to give me was the production year which is stamped 1943. There are no manufacturing marks on the rifle. The other rifle they do not know much about. Its still in the warehouse and they haven't inspected it yet. Don't know what I'm going to do. I left a post here in the forums for herp_man2003 regarding his post about selling his Mosin 44 but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Best advice is don't shell out big bucks for anything when you're just starting out. The Model 91/30 is a bit more pleasant to shoot, due to the longer barrel. $90 is the going rate for a refurb 91/30. Many of them come with a sling & bayonet for that price. The one in the picture is missing the cleaning rod. The short-barreled M38 and M44 shoot just fine, but the recoil and muzzle blast are much more pronounced. Here's a pic of me firing a M44 on a cloudy day.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

That is the correct price range for MOST M-N's. There is a large batch of these released by the Russians that have been cleaned up, and put in emergency war stock storage over the years. I shoot a 91/30, a M38, and an M44. They are ugly, heavy, crude, loud- and as durable as an anvil, Swear to god you could run over one with a tank and it will still work. There is still milsurp ammo to be had cheap- get it while you can. www.surplusrifle.com has good info on these.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

When I bought my M-44, there were a couple on the end of the rack that where priced at $200. I asked the dealer why those were $200 when the others were $89 and he said it was because they were stamped "1943" and were rare. I guess they didn't make very many of them in 43' but otherwise they were indentical to the others. Maybe that's why they want so much for the ones you saw. $600 is still too high though.