Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   mosin nagant range report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-nagant-range-report-57436/)

pmiller1976 02-10-2012 06:42 PM

mosin nagant range report

1 Attachment(s)
I need more practice with my 91/30. Shooting surplus silvertip can ammo at 50 yards. Bark is good but bite was more than i thought it would be.

Attachment 39084

vincent 02-10-2012 07:24 PM

I think you did a good job!! Yeah, it's a "man's rifle" for sure...

disclaimer...no cheauvanism intended...:cool:

Mick3411 02-10-2012 07:51 PM

Mine was off to the right as well. I know the rear sight is wndage adjustable, I am just not sure how.

I did get a gel pad for the butt stock and it worked unbelievably well.

Mick

vincent 02-10-2012 08:01 PM

I don't think the rear sight is windage adjustable, just elevation. The front sight IS windage adjustable with a punch...of course I've been wrong before...

Mick3411 02-10-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 704874)
I don't think the rear sight is windage adjustable, just elevation. The front sight IS windage adjustable with a punch...of course I've been wrong before...

You are more than likely correct. This is my first mosin, so I am still learning. Any pointers on using a punch to make the adjustment? It was off almost identically to what the original poster showed.

pmiller1976 02-10-2012 08:16 PM

I have to drift punch mine. I did once before by grabbing a spent 308 brass case and hammering flat and use that to drift punch the front sight. It works.

jpattersonnh 02-10-2012 09:29 PM

You can make one from a small C clamp or purchase a front sight ajustment tool. Lock the rifle down, Fire a few shots. Drift the front sight so that it is the same as poi. If you are hitting right, drift it right. Light ball is notorious for recoil and poor groups.

pmiller1976 02-10-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
You can make one from a small C clamp or purchase a front sight ajustment tool. Lock the rifle down, Fire a few shots. Drift the front sight so that it is the same as poi. If you are hitting right, drift it right. Light ball is notorious for recoil and poor groups.

Got that right on the recoil. My nose became one with the bolt knob :s once.....once. Got a slip on limb saver for the long range sessions. My fiance loves the gun too. Except for the recoil.

Mick3411 02-11-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmiller1976 (Post 704885)
I have to drift punch mine. I did once before by grabbing a spent 308 brass case and hammering flat and use that to drift punch the front sight. It works.

Thanks so much for the help. When I looked at the front sight it was hanging over the base about an 1/8". As you said if it shoots right move sight right, so I was able to take a punch and moved it flush with the base. Too nasty to shoot today, but I'm anxious to see the difference.

pmiller1976 02-11-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3411
Thanks so much for the help. When I looked at the front sight it was hanging over the base about an 1/8". As you said if it shoots right move sight right, so I was able to take a punch and moved it flush with the base. Too nasty to shoot today, but I'm anxious to see the difference.

Mine is exactly same way. Hanging over a bit. Was that way when i got it